Looking at using CaribSea Hawaiian black sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Coralli Asylum, Oct 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coralli Asylum

Coralli Asylum Plankton

I am starting up another reef tank this week. It's a 60 gallon cube (2'x2'x2'). I was wondering if anybody has this in their tank, and if so any gripes? I love the color, but was wondering what the drawbacks would be. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't have it but I know black sand shows dirt easily. As in detritus, which doesn't look so good. Just vacuum the sanded every one in a while, or even just get some sand sifters & make sure you have good flow & then detritus should not be a problem.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

It looks horrible when you start getting detritus. My first round with my last tank I had black sand. Regretted it after a month LOL. It's also more coarse than most tank sand, which if you're going to have any kind of sandsifting fish probably isn't very good for them. I had a Diamond Watchman goby in there, and he really stirred it up. He never seemed to win as far as getting it clean & nice looking.

You can see how "dirty" it looks in these pics. Any little piece of rock, shell, or anything else is going to show the contrast.
    View attachment 33561
    View attachment 33562

And what you're looking at is the exact sand I used.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. Coralli Asylum

Coralli Asylum Plankton

Thanks for the heads up,, I spent the day at the lfs. I had them order it for me but they said I don't have to buy it when it comes in. (they are great like that!!) Well, now I am going to have to think this over again,, it looks so good in the pictures but you both have helped.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

No problem. I actually like the look of it in the first pic...^^^

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

It looked a lot better when it was brand new LOL.
    By the time I took it out of my tank, it was probably only 2/3rds black anymore.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I have to agree it looks wonderful when its clean...it isn't easy to keep clean though. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but it also stains the rock I think. Everyone I have pulled a piece that was under the sand it was black. I dunno if it was permanent or not as I either stuck it back or forgot where it was stained.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I didn't notice any staining. True black sand shouldn't stain I wouldn't think. It does cling to everything though.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Maybe that's what it was just a powder stuck to it. I used the same kind of sand though. Or maybe it was seachem...I forget now...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Here are some pics of my Hawaiian Black Caribe with just my stuuners leds on

Attached Files: