Look what I found this morning

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JohnO, Sep 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Cool. If you end up getting a peacock (Odontodactylus scyllarus) like what's listed on that site, you'll want a larger tank than a 2.5 gallon. You may also want to consider getting a titanium heater. I've read quite a few reports of mantis breaking glass heaters. Seems the red indicator light p*sses them off enough to make them have a go at it.

No arrow crabs for me thanks...they look too much like spiders and I friggin hate spiders!! :) Did you watch yours kill your goby or just catch him munching on it?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

The firefish was still 'kicking' while the arrow crab was munching on it's eyes. Poor little guy :'(

To be fair, I think my royal gramma may have taken out most of it's tail before the crab got ahold of it. The firefish seemed to like the gramma's cave, and I hear the gramma can be a bit territorial.

I was wondering if that was a peacock or not, thanks for the ID!

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Poor thing...that makes me sad :( I'd be mad at the crab too even if it wasn't responsible for killing the fish. It's got that bad association thing going for it now

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I know we are running of the subject but...

What is the purpose of us buying inverts like crabs? Isn't if because the are scavengers and they clean our tanks? I would be happy that your crab was so willing to take care of your dirty work. Remember scavengers take care of the dead and dying.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Scavangers that stay small and don'i have pinchers are the only really reef safe crustaceans. So far my Scarlet Hermits are algeavores through and through unlike Blue Legs that become carnivores as they grow.

7. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=General;num=1094169625;start=30#43 date=09/08/04 at 18:06:27]I know we are running of the subject but...

What is the purpose of us buying inverts like crabs? Isn't if because the are scavengers and they clean our tanks? I would be happy that your crab was so willing to take care of your dirty work. Remember scavengers take care of the dead and dying. [/quote]

[soapbox]

Yes, they are scavengers, and yes, I bought it to clean the tank and take care of uneaten food in all the nooks and crannies of the rock (which it is rather adept at). In all honesty, it will probably end up living in my 'fuge if there are any more issues.

As for the firefish, a little tail damage isn't at all a death sentence. The abuse it was receiving from whatever got ahold of it, merely drove it into hiding. I did research the compatibility of the firefish with the other tank mates before buying it, but these things happen. I expect if you came home one day to find a total stranger living in your house, you might become a bit territorial also (I sure would). Unfortunately, it's hiding place was not at all effective (see the pic below) and it became a good meal opportunity for the crab.

Beyond all else, my comment was given with a dash of humor, as indicated by the last sentence in the post. I would not condone any of my animals, weather clawed, finned or furry to die by any means that I had control over.

[/soapbox]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. arickosmo

arickosmo Astrea Snail

I agree, looks like a peacock. I had one for years, no problems. Lost him in the move though.

10. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

I have never heard of such an animal. It hits you?

It comes in on lr? wow!!!

Interesting.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

12. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

HOLY COW!!! It got that guy pretty good. Very strange looking creature. Scary too!!! Never seen one before.
    Thank you for the enlightening link.