Long-Tentacle Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Grotto, Apr 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Recently bought one, about 2 days ago. I noticed today that he has dug pretty far into the sand in the back of the tank behind all the Live rock (figures) and it's tentacles curl at the ends. Any reason for this? Is it possible to have too much light for an anemone?

Tank parameters are:

Ca = 420
    dKH = 14
    Mg = 1480
    PH = 8.1

Temp = 79F
    Salinity = 1.026

Any advise is appretiated, it's opened up a lot etc, and I can see it's mouth but the tentacles extend outward and the ends get all curly. At night they wave around in the current and don't curl at all. Also, I have 2 Maroon Clowns in there but so far they have yet to go near the Anemone (figures), and they are both pretty beat up, I think my yellow-tail is angry at them, should I get the yellow-tail out or wait and see if the clowns fight back at some point?

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

If it is opened alot I wouldn't think it was too much light. As they control the light they get by opening and closing like your pupil. Can't really offer much else though sorry. :(

4. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

From what i've read though they like to have their foot covered, so they will dig down into the sand in order to attach their foot. Sounds like he might just still be getting used to the tank and will move around some more till he finds a nice spot.

I had the same problem with a domino damsel, he never gave up and I had to move him.

5. Grotto

Okay, thanks for the responses!

If he attaches where he is now it's going to suck, he's pretty much well hidden from the front of the tank so you only see him if you look from the sides. Anyone else have this problem, I know they pick a spot they like and stay there but what if that spot is horrible? :( I'd hate to have something so cool be so hidden. How bad is it for them to move them?

Also, how long if ever do clowns realize that an anemone is their friend?

6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Took my clowns about a month, well one of them. Then bam, he is bouncing all over it now. It'll happen and when it does you will smile bigger than life. You can help manipulate your anemone into moving. Try shading that spot for a bit. Also aim some powerheads in a different spot. He'll likely decide he needs a new spot. :) If he's anchored in sand you may just be able to gently scoop him up and place him in a similar spot closer to the front. :O)

7. Grotto

Will definitely try the power-head trick tonight.

Hey I just noticed what could potentially be a baby anemone on the top of a piece of live rock. I'm almost certain that it is, tried to snap a few shots for ya. Is it possible that the long-tentacle that I just put it had a baby or something??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the best shot I could get of the Anemone:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

yeah i'm going on 2 weeks right now and the clowns havent given the anemone a glance. I'm going to put some pictures on the outside of the tank and see if that helps.

That little thing looks like a sponge of some sort I have alot of them in my refugium.

10. Marty

Marty Stylophora

That's a beautiful specimen. Nice!

11. Grotto

Power-head trick hasn't worked yet, so I don't know what I'm going to do at this point :-/

12. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

oh it's going to take him a while to move, mine sat in the same spot for 3 days then finally got to moving.