Logan's 75g - It's been fun!!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by lmr2o, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nickerber

nickerber Plankton

Hi Logan...
    I just read through your 89 pages of your tank setup. I started a tank for the first time last July also. Seems like we went through a lot of the same things, but I have far less corals but more fish. I've had the same bunch - yellow tang, 2 clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, striped damsel (hitchhiker) - and every time i've added a new fish it dies... doesn't get bullied just suddenly dies. I also have a coral banded shrimp who might be the culprit. I also have a gonio that looked good for a month or so and then it stopped extending it's "flowers" and they only come out at night about 1/8" or so. I've heard they are very hard to keep. I wondered how yours was doing?

2. Click Here!

3. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

if you made it through even half of this thread I applaud you! haha. Thank you very much.

Mine is not doing well either - from what I read you're correct, they are hard to keep alive.

When I first got it:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't help you much. I've seen some good links on how to care for them, but can't find them at the moment and I have to head to work.

4. nickerber

nickerber Plankton

My gonio has been in the tank for 3-4 months... The polyps used to come out like how yours looks, but now they rarely come out at all and it looks like some of the membrane is deteriorating and there is "skeleton" showing through. I've fed the tank several different types of frozen, gel, and flake foods. I've started dosing the tank with BRS 2 part, I've done water changes with "ocean water" that I bought from PetCo. The thing is just kind of withering away. I've also tried it at all flow and light levels. My nitrates are chronically high because I got lazy with water changes and I've been battling that. It seemed to like the water before I started battling the nitrates.

I've also read a ton of articles. The best one was by this marine scientist (I can't remember where I read it) who said that even large university aquariums have tried to keep them and the only thing that perked them up was a total water change with real ocean water pumped in. There is still some "mystery ingredient" that salts and supplements are missing.

I saw a while back you were considering the Ecotech pumps (I think I read that)... I bought the MP40w and it is AWESOME! It has this strong undertow that skims the top of the sand and it makes the entire water volume of the tank rock back and forth when it does the wave action. It's an amazing pump. I only bought one... I'll be buying a second to pair it in the future. I think I need to add more corals first.

5. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I've dreamed of a vortech! Just not in the budget for now. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to save the goni, I wish you the best of luck! Do you have a tank thread here I'd love to take a look at your set up!

6. nickerber

nickerber Plankton

No tank thread yet. I'm working on it. :)

7. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I missed both these posts somehow, thanks you two! I guess it wouldn't be as rewarding if we didn't have these problems to go through, right? Lol!

8. Click Here!

9. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

A whole month without an update?! Sorry I've been absent lately, been super busy with work and car shopping. Tank hasn't been much to look at the past 5 days anyways, damn dino.. lol

uploadfromtaptalk1345849327325.jpg

Looking forward to getting a chance to catch up to all your threads tonight though!

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

The resilient sucker still appears in tiny patches on my sand.

Looking forward to the positive update after the blackout!

11. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

Where about are you from Logan. I see NE Ohio. I would love to take a look at your tank in person some time.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Looking great bro. BTW, how is that heater working out? Just curious, may keep the other one if fsukum doesn't get his butt in gear!lol