Living creatures on snail shell

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by PghSteeler, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hey John, I purchased my CUC from you about a month ago. Everything is doing fine the macro algae didnt make it and a few snails and hermits have perished as expected but for the most part everything has survived and is doing great cleaning the tank. By the way I am pretty sure all the nice colors popping up in the tank are due to the million different colors of coralline algae that came in on the shells of the snails and hermits.
    My question is in regards to a growth on one of the Florida cerith shells. I can not get a picture because they are so small and I do not have the ability to take good macro shots so I will do my best to describe. They have a thin white stalk prob less then a half inch that stands erect. Then there are what looks almost like a feather duster at the end of that but the thin white/clear strands never go out and in they just stay out all the time. It is only on one shell but it is in rows going around the whole backside of the snail.

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Glad things are going well in the tank. It sounds like maybe a young barnacle. Does the shape of the animal hold for the most part out of water?

4. PghSteeler

I have not taken it out of the water, I have barnacles on the nerites and they do not look like it to me but then again I have never seen a baby barnacle.

5. johnmaloney

slipper shells are similar too. They are generally clearish white when they begin to form. You have me curious now. Can you try a pic, even if it is blurry?

6. PghSteeler

Like I said its only on one guy so if I can find him again close to the glass I will try to snap a picture.

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Or take him out & put him in a clear cup or bowl of tank water to get a good pic.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

So I finally found the guy again and was able to snap a picture, hard to see because the things are so small but hopefully it helps.
    [​IMG]

Kind of different looking, I think it makes the shell look hairy

10. johnmaloney

maybe tiny dusters. hard to tell. I would wipe them off him if it isn;t webbed looking at all, could by a hydroid species.

11. PghSteeler

what are hydroids?

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda