Liverock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Jay, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Good Idea! I wonder how long it will take for them to respond to you and what their response will be?

Jim

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Heres a cut and paste of the emails back and fourth with them. You need to read from the bottom of the post up to get them in the order they were sent.I just get tired of getting ripped off by online venders. My fault here for not supporting the LFS huh!!Jay

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:30 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: Liverock (Thread:919603)

John:
    This is what Liveaquaria is selling as Figi Liverock. I would say they are probably one of your biggest competition. Look at the pictures on this page. It is from Liveaquarias feedback forum on Reefcentral.com. I got stroked on my order from the ebay vendor. This I would expext beings it is ebay. But when I call ahead of time and talk with you about your liverock and you asure me that you are selling "premium Fiji live rock is absolutely the best Fiji rock available" just like it says on your website then I am not worried am expexting to get the same stuff other venders are selling. So I happily place my order with you and not even worry about it. What great service, this is going to be great. How dissapointing John. Now I need to pay again shipping charges just to return this rock that I cannot use. Please send me a prepaid airbill with UPS so I can return this and place another order with Liveaquaria.com and setup my reef tank. No hard feelings, I will continue to buy my drygoods with you as I have been happy with the service with these items. I dont feel right having to pay the shipping charges. I feel still like the product I received is not what was presented to me by yourself and your website.
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=834281&perpage=25&pagenumber=3
    Thank You again for helping me with this John
    Jay
    ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:52 AM

Subject: RE: Liverock (Thread:919603)
    Hello Jay,
    Thanks for the Email. I apologize for the inconvenience. I am here Monday until 12, and not in at all on Tuesdays.
    In regards to the liverock, the image below is of ultra grade tongan live rock.
    Notice the branching, and the 100% coverage.
    The rock received is how standard, fiji premium is sold and bought. There is some corraline growth, both green and purple and is very porous. Fiji rock is often boulder shaped, and though it is made from coral skeleton, is worn. The rock that you received is in keeping with the image provided on our website:
    Tonga liverock usually very branched and has the original shape and structure of the original coral heads.
    For 100% coverage, like that listed in the image that you provided, is found only on ultra grade/show grade types of rock, like the Tonga Lalo
    assure you that this rock is usable and of very high quality, and meets both our standards, and Walt Smith’s. Should you be very dissatisfied, we can issue a refund upon receipt of the product received.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

I hope that I helped. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help you further

John Trinidad
    Marine Depot Customer Service
    http://www.marinedepot.com
    [email protected]
    Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:53 AM
    Subject: Fw: Liverock (Thread:919603)

Good Morning:
    Hello there Marinedepot, Just wondering if you are going to get back with me today on this? Your email said your manager would help me but he must not have checked the support emails last night. I sent this origionally at 1:00 PM Monday.

Thanks

Jay
    Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 1:04 PM

Here it is. Looks like ordinary base rock that has been burried under the mud at the bottom of the ocean. I have had it submerged in saltwater in a 30 gallon tank with a skimmer and powerhead since it arrived. Can you see what I meen? Pop can for size comparison.
    Thanks for your time and patience helping me with this
    Jay

From your website :
    Fiji Premium Live Rock, 44 lbs per box
    Our freshly imported premium Fiji live rock is absolutely the best Fiji rock available. This rock is fresh and and will require additional curing in your tank or in a seperate curing bin if your tank has already been cycled.
    It is a very light weight rock from the Pacific. It`s popular for building reefs due to it`s light weight and high capacity for bacteria growth. It has very dark purples and some orange coraline algae growths. Each rock is going to be about 3 to 11 inches. Live Rock provides the foundation of a reef aquarium. Biological filtration, structure and beauty. This is a porous rock. Usually, 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon is recommended. Our Premium Fiji Rock will require a 2-3 week curing process. Not recommended to place in a fully cycled tank.

Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 9:29 AM
    Hey Jay,

Thanks for the Email. Send over an image of the rock you received and I’ll see what we can do. On the most part, we get wonderful reviews on the rock sent, so it would be odd to hear that you received bleached/white rock, and etc.
    I may not be here tomorrow, so if you send the image this evening, my manager will reply.
    John Trinidad

[email protected]

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:16 AM

John:
    I really dont know what to say. I am not at all happy with the liverock that I received from you guys. It came in the exact same box as the junk rock I got. Its rock that has been burried in mud. Zero coraline growth and no life on it. I guess I am expexting rock similer to the other orders that I got from another vender one and a half years ago. It was old encrusted coral heads. You could see that it was not burried in mud and had macro algea on it and sponges and even came with a few crabs. This rock that is listed as premium liverock on your site is not good at all. I feel like I have now bought rock twice and cant use any of it. This is the exact same rock that the ebay seller sold me but yours was a little fresher. Can I send it back to you? Do you have any of the type of rock I am talking about? I am really not a pickey person, I just want what I paid for, or at least something I can use.

I dont meen to be a pain in the ass but I have so far had great service from you guys. I hate to complain, really I dont usually complain at all. I really dont even care that there is no coraline on it I can grow that but rock that has been mostly been burried in mud . Had the same jebo box as the other guy.
    Please help me. Do I need to spend more money with you on this? Now there is shipping charges back to you. This is really a bummer. This is why I called and talked to you guys to be sure it was premium liverock.
    Jay
    This is what I want. Something similer to this. Notice the old coral heads. It has some coraline and macro algea.

Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:23 AM

Hello Jay,

Thanks for the Email. We actually ran out of our current stock of liverock, and are picking up another box for you (fresher) today. We want to make sure you get your box both fresh, and on time, so we are upgrading your shipping to next day air (from second day air) at no cost.

Your package will be received on your Friday promise date.

I hope that I helped. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help you further
    John Trinidad

[email protected]

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:39 PM

John:

I missed your call last night. You left a message about my tracking number and upgrading my order at no charge to me. What did you meen by this? Am I getting different type of rock or a better type or whats up.
    Thanks

John

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:28 AM
    Hello Jay,
    Thanks for the Email. I believe that we handled all this over the phone when placing your order.
    John Trinidad

[email protected]

Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:51 PM
    Subject: Liverock (Thread:919603)

I want to order some liverock from you. Can you please send me some more photos of your figi liverock? I would like to see how much comes in a 50 pound box. Also I want to see the quality and types of shapes to expect in my order. Does your rock come from Walt Smiths facilities? I recently got ripped off buying rock from ebay. I was sent 45 pounds of very old rotting baserock. So bad I had to throw it out...at least dry it out and use it for frag plugs.

Thanks

Jay Steinmetz

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Heres the last email I got from them this afternoon. It was over 10000 characters so it all would not fit in one post here. Also all the pictures have been removed. But they are in my gallery still : )

Jay
    Hello Jay,
    Thanks for the Email. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate your request for a shipping label for the live rock. I have spoken to my manager, and have confirmed that the rock sent is consistent with what is advertised. Please feel free to call later on this evening for further clarification. Though I will not be here, my manager, Eugene, or associate, Jorge, will be able to help you further.

Sincerely,
    John Trinidad

[email protected]

714.385.0080--

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Jay,
    I'm also pretty shocked. Marine Depot has typically been pretty good and I get them do do Saturday deliveries quite often.
    I was actually looking at getting a chiller yesterday and called them and they said they would match any price I could find. I unfortunately backed out and did not make the purchase. They always seem to be extremely helpful and this totally surprises me.
    (I believe any one of use could put some base rock in our sumps for a month and sell it more live that that rock looks.)

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

tHANKS FOR YOUR OPINIONS EVERYONE.

JAY

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey JTREEF:

I know what you meen. I have got dry goods from them. Several pumps and such, some calcium reactor media. Two fishes reactor, Its all been ok. Mabey its just their livegoods division, I think they may even be run in different locations but im not sure about that.

Jay

8. Click Here!

9. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

It may even be possible that not all the live rock even hits their location at all. It would be very possible that they have their direct supplier ship it directly to you. The way I see it is that each box of rock is always going to be shipped by itself. I do not see them palatalizing it in bulk being that it is live there for why not cut out an extra 20 in shipping per every box sold.
    Just from my experience at work it seems the most logical.

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

No they are located right at LAX airport and hand pick out the boxes comming from the plane. Thats how they guarantee it doesnt sit around in a building for a week till they buy it. John said that they get rock everyday or everyother day. But dont open every box. Im not saying their liverock is not good, Im saying that my box of rock was not good. Its frustrating really.

Jay

Jay

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Wow, Jay, you should of stuck with LFS rock. :-[

I am very disappointed Marine Depot handled this the way they did. I buy a lot of dry goods, never live but, it's hard to believe that they would go about this that way.

12. live rock

live rock Plankton

I'm sorry for you Jay. I happen to read one very interesting term in the mail that you posted here - It says
    How can something which is so inferior in live matter be branded as 'premium'?