Liverock and reseeding

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Lionking, Nov 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

I am about to start up a new SW tank. I have some dead live rock from a previously unsuccessful attempt at SW (not enough info) I have read up on how to clean it and that it can be reseeded. My question is the guy at the LFS said that if I wanted the live rock to have it's nice purplish hue, that i would need to add calcium to my water. The reason I ask is that I plan to have a FOWLR tank and didn't think I needed to add calcium. Will this help or needed?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Lionking

The ' nice purple ' colour on rock is coralline algae. Coralline algae needs Calcium to grow and spread and that's why the LFS guy told you to add Calcium.

John

4. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

Would you suggest I do that? Does that sound like wise advice? If so does this mean I need to add this continuously?

Thanks,

5. Lionking

Lionking Astrea Snail

Do I need a specific type of light to have Coraline grow? I was just planning on use my fluorescent canopy since I am not keeping any coral.

Thanks,

6. FragOutpost

FragOutpost Plankton

There are many different types of coraline algae. Different types prefer different light levels. For example, in my tank under the halides the pink coraline covers everything, but in the sump where there is less light the purple coraline seems to grow better. Just my experience though, yours might be different.

As far as calcium is concerned, if it is a FOWLR and you have nothing else using up the calcium then regular water changes should provide plenty of calcium to sustain the coraline growth. Although adding extra calcium and maintaining alkalinity levels will help the coraline grow faster. Also, coraline loves high water flow.