LIVE ROCK

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by TEPOZ_AZTLAN, Jan 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

HELLO EVERYBODY, I JUST GOT SOME LIVE ROCK FROM A LFS , AND I FORGOT TO ASK IF IT IS BEEN CURE IS A FIJI LR, IT HAS LOTS OF CORALINE AND BUILD UP MATERIAL, HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S BEEN CURE , IT IS ALLREADY IN NANO TANK, IF NOT HOW CAN I CURE IT

THANK'S

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Curing is easy!  Just let the system run for 2 - 3 weeks and keep testing....you should see ammonia increase, followed by an increase in nitrites.  They should then both go down.  When there is no measurable ammonia, it should be OK to put critters in after that. ;) :D

4. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Thank's Birdlady, that was very helpfull, also how long should i run the light in the tank?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oops, had to edit that first post, you will first get an INCREASE in ammonia and nitrites...went back and fixed it.

Lights, if you have any things on the rocks that need light, run them to their requirements .  If it is just for coralline algae, just maybe 6-8 hours per day should be plenty.

6. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

thank you so much i'll do that, by the way i haven't been able to insert smiley's don't know waht i'm doing wrong.
    thank's again

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

LOL! There are two options for replying at the bottom...one (probably the one you are using) is the quick reply box...no smilies.

The other is a little above that, attached to the bottom of this dialog box...click on that one and you will see the smilies and stuff ;)

8. Click Here!

9. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

hello, i just did what you suggest, and i notice the rock is forming a white film all over the rocks, according to a book the rock wasn't cure properly, the recommend "no lights" for one week or more what is the dilemma here please. light or no light ?, can i add some critters to help to remove the film. i will appreciate any advice.
    thank's

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

MAn oh man i hope your rock is cured (if you got more than 10 lbs) if it isnt...you should be able to smell it from any point in your house within a few days. If not, take the rock out and pull of EVERTHING except for algae. Pull off all sponge and unknown material, if it isnt coraline algae...scrape it off (sponges leave "prickers" in your hands that sting...use golves). Then do a 20% water change every week for the next 3-4 weeks....after that let the tank sit for another 3-4 weeks and you should be good to go to add critters. Either way it will be at least a month before you should add anything that swims or scurries.

11. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Thanks for your answer. You said if the rock wasn't cured, there would be a smell. Well I put the rock in on friday night, now it's monday I smell nothing. So that means it's cured? So that means I can take all the sponge like material off? I should be good to go in a few weeks. By,the way I have 18 pounds off rock in the tank. So much for beginners, ha, ha,.

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Good.....then it was probably cured to an extent. ANd unless your tanks been up already for about 3 weeks....i would wait a total of a month minimum AFTER youve added LR. The slower you go the easier things will be in the long run. The key to salt water is stability....only reached through time.