Live Rock vs Artificial Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by DestinX, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DestinX

DestinX Plankton

Greetings Reefers!

My light fixture is on its way in the mail and my next step is to add some sort of rock.

My question is: Should I get live rock or should I get Marco rock or some other alternative (fake)?

What are the pros and cons of artificial rocks. Will I still have a decent ammonia->nitrate cycle without live rock? We've already layered the bottom of the tank with about 3 inches of live sand, but I don't know if that hinders anything else I'd put in there.

Appreciate the responses :)

2. Click Here!

3. Zach.66

Zach.66 Flamingo Tongue

I havn't had any experience with marco rock, but have with Bulk Reef Supply Eco rock. So far it's the best I've owned. Live rock is no problem as long as you know what's on it, because sometimes its not good. I will be honest though, it is a lot easier, maybe quicker, to cycle a tank with live rock, because of the beneficial bacteria on it. If you do choose to use marco or bulk reef supply rock, either way, you will still need to start the cycle with a cycling aid or fish. Not having live rock will not change if your tank is cycled, just the quickness.

4. DestinX

DestinX Plankton

So really live rock is just a quicker way to cycling but you have risks with hitchhikers and other bacteria's- if I'm understanding you correctly.

5. Zach.66

Zach.66 Flamingo Tongue

Well, you never know exactly, the cycling period could be quick or not.

But if you have artificial rock, like marcos, then all you have to do is add a cycling aid, like Dr. Tim's One And Only which may take just a couple weeks.

If you have live rock, then you may need to wait just a couple weeks, as your tank has most beneficial bacteria.

So in a way, you are correct

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

spot on :D

Although, I would not call Marco Rock, or BRS Eco Rock fake. Its real rock, not cement, and not made. Fake rock, at least to me, is the "Real Reef" and cement based rocks out there (Like the fake WSI stuff)

7. Zach.66

Zach.66 Flamingo Tongue

+1
    yea your right

8. Click Here!

9. DestinX

DestinX Plankton

So what's more expensive is my next question :D

10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I really like my Marco rock, brs has good dry rock too from what I hear. I would just get a small piece or two of live rock and do the rest dry, throw in a shrimp or some other source of ammonia to get your cycle going. Dry rock is cheaper and safer as far as getting nasty hitchhikers. Just my two cents though

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Personally I love my dry Pukani from BRS :) No pests, no algae and very porous. Which is great for beneficial bacteria. The price is great too :)

12. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

There not fake. There just not alive yet. Bacteria will propagate n it will turn into "real" live rock.

Live rock usually goes anywhere from 5.99/lb to as much as
    10 or 11. Depending on location. Dry rock ( not artificial) is usually 2.99/lb to 4.99/lb once again depending on where your located nd where you order from.

Just get base rock. That's what you refered as artificial, which artificial would entail decor made of plastic that many companies use
    To make the tank look nice, but IMO looks so stupid!