Live rock turning green

Discussion in 'Algae' started by johnlocke, May 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnlocke

johnlocke Flamingo Tongue

yea i do have some soft/lps corals.. which is why i am afraid of having the lights on for 6h only.. but i will definetly shorten it slowly..

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

looks like green coralline to me. I have green, purple, pink and now a few spots of orange coralline.

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I have a similar problem.... after 8 months of having the tank running it all of a sudden developed this green microalgea. I have snails in there but they are not sufficient, so I am considering a vodka treatment. Do you know how to dose it?

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

This could very well be coralline. If it is, snails and crabs won't do a thing about it. The only real way I could imagine to get rid of coralline off of rocks is to introduce other strains of coralline to compete with it.

6. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Thanks for your advice "blackraven1425".... I think it will go away with a little time. Since my tank is now over 8 months old and has already developed nice red coraline, I think this is just a temporary issue. I have to admit that I had to travel for business and as a consequence didn't clean my skimmer for over a week.... that possibly contributed to the problem. But thanks for replying :)

7. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I agree your lights may be causing the issue (follow suggestion above). As for hermits and snails they will climb all over everything and get to places that your wouldn't think possible. I would direct you to reefcleaners website as they have an excellent description of CuC and what each snail/hermit brings with them.

Good Luck!

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Even though you have the red coralline all over, the green, at least IME, spreads a whole lot faster than the red, but will get overrrun by the red over time.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

When I had green coralline algae growth on my rock, I exposed it to air for about 3 hours, which caused it to bleach. After putting it back into the tank, it came back as purple. It took about a month, but it did morph. I had upped my Mg, Ca and alk levels too, so I can't say for certain which caused it to morph colors.

11. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

To start with "Live Rock" is not white. All of the micro fauna that make it live will turn it all kinds of colors, and you'll eventually end up with pink, maroon and purple coraline algae covered rock (this is a good thing).
    Sounds like you started with dead base rock that is now becoming "Live" as the tank matures. And if your rocks were still white, then your cycle was not complete. And yes like others said, you're probably starting to accumulate Phosphate which should be dealt with. I run Seagel in a reactor with good results.

12. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm

do u have sand crushed coral how many pounds of rock do u have a refugium... that can all help with ph levels if your testing zero it can very well be coraline witch will darken over time to the dominate species purple