Live Rock thats been out

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefbuilder, Dec 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Ha at this point my entire build is delayed! I thought I had everything in place until I started reading! LOL.

Anyway I want to do it right - but also want to cut some cost - not corners as I go - I will look at what he has - says its real nice and big pieces and go from there.

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

If the pieces are nice, and you have the means of cleaning as stated before, get them. I personally took several pieces that had really nice formation etc. and power washed them and bleached them as suggested above.

4. Reefbuilder

Well I find out in the am if it is a deal or no deal.... we shall see!

5. Reefbuilder

I hit lotto with the rock. It was BEAUTILFUL shapes and sizes. I was also able to pick up a TON of stuff I needed and some I didn't...lol

I am going to wash it today then soak it a 55 gallon barrel with a pump, RO water, heater and start to cycle it. I am in no rush.

6. Reefbuilder

Just an update it cleaned up very nice. I am on my 2nd water change - the water is running clear. Each water change have stacked it differently and moved it around. I have it in a 45 gallon brute - loosely stacked so water can move through it - RO water with salt and a heater with two power heads. I think this will be fine. Its really good looking rock.

I plan on doing the final set up next weekend in the tank and will do another water change tomorrow before I leave. Once I put it in the tank I will continue to cycle so more.

I did however buy 50 pounds of base because this stuff was so nice I don't want to use as bottom pieces.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would suggest that when you start cycling in the tank, to add in some bacterial supplement. I like microbacter 7. Since you're starting with basically all base rock, I think it would benefit your tank to add in some bacterial diversity. Just my .02.

Sorry I didn't see this thread until today or would have congratulated you on finding out the rock was great!

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

Thanks - yeah I plan on it. Tank is not plumbed yet - I need to drill through the floor and was traveling this week so wanted to wait till I got back - Plus I wanted to be able to d a few "complete" water changes on the rock to start.

Once it goes in the tank - I do want to pick up some branch live rock from my LFS to add in as well. I really low that looks.

Getting closer!!!

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have fallen victim to the "it's way to good of a deal to pass up". My tank had a horrendous cycle after using someone else's LR. Be careful & good luck