Live Rock thats been in storage?? Dead? Live?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by vetteman, Mar 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vetteman

vetteman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks. When you say color back up you mean as in purple like before? And as of right now I test for ph, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. So do I need to add calcium and Magnesium and start testing them too? My current situation is I have a 30 gal tank with a blue striped goby, wolf eel, and a couple crabs. I just set up a 55 gal with all the live rock. I am going to transfer my fish and crabs after the cycle is finished. So I'm asking what is my next step? Should I add some pieces of already coralline rock? Or scrape some algae off of it into the water to get some seeds around the tank and put the rock in? Do I need to add calcium and magnesium? I thought that the fish do not like the calcium? or does a small amount not hurt?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Forgive me if this has already been asked, are you going fish only?

4. vetteman

Thanks,

I am eventually addind some small corals.

5. missionsix

As a heads up, your green wolf eel is going to put a damper on many things regarding what you would like to keep in your tank.

6. vetteman

You say this meaning smaller fish? or corals also? So far i've had him a little over a month. He hasn't messed with the Blue striped goby. I'm sure if i didn't feed him he would go after him.

7. missionsix

Both. And most clean-up crew items. But, they are very clumsy and verrrryyyy dirty. Especially when it is feeding time. A couple of mine turned pretty mean towards me also.

8. Click Here!

9. vetteman

oh i see. Thanks for the heads up.

10. odellous

odellous Astrea Snail

dont take any chances!!! nuke it with bleach! do a 50-50 water/bleach combo in a bucket...let sit for 3 days.
    -take out and rinse.
    -do another 50-50 and let sit for 3 days
    -then rinse thoroughly.
    -place in fresh water for 3 days
    -rinse thoroughtly
    -place in fresh water and add baking soda (arm n hammer)
    -let soak for 3 days.
    -rinse thoroughly then place in tank.
    dont worry about the purple, pinks and reds on your rock. they will appear with time. with this hobby, everything takes time!! dont rush!!
    good luck.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I can't believe, reading this whole thread, that noone mentioned any sort of cleaning of this rock. This rock is, without a doubt LOADED with phosphates that are going to do nothing but leach into the water column of this tank and also harbor all sorts of nuisance algae. Not a good deal at all and I would have thought with everyone that was so quick to respond to this thread would have mentioned that. If I missed something, I appologize but WOW. IMO this rock needed to be cooked for atleast 6 months to a year before even thinking of going into any sort of tank.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

im ding what it sounds like our doing and after 5 weeks or so im jsut now getting little spots of purple. it takes time but will happen.