Live rock structures

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nightster, Aug 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

I think the blue tint looks cool, I don't need them yet tho. Off topic again, I read some where that carbon makes the water clearer? That and skimming...

2. Click Here!

3. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

good guess Seano, but they are 20k's and yes, MH. The pictures come out much bluer than it really looks in person. I am a horrible photographer and don't know how to adjust the white balance on my point and shoot camera.

Yes, I do run carbon 24/7 as it does help with water clarity. Also I have a mixture of softies and LPS and I use the carbon to help with any possible chemical warfare.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I look for interesting pockets and formations and then go for balance. Carbon and Seachem Purigen will do wonders for clarity and chemical warfare control.

5. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Ok I'm prolly gonna sound dumb but how do you add carbon? Drops?

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

There are no dumb questions...we are all learning.

Most carbon comes in the form of pellets. You can place this in a bag and place it somewhere in your sump where the water will flow over and through it or you can have a separate reactor (I use a Two Little Fishies) to pump water through it slowly.

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

In your other thread about lighting... you said you had a filter. It most likely has pads that are inserted into the filter. These pads would contain your carbon.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Use a reactor or a canister filter to get better contact time to better clean your water. A reactor is better than a canister.

10. vegastyle

vegastyle Astrea Snail

I made an "H" shape stand with fiberglass rod in middle "T" to support pillars, drilled rock with masonary bit

Attached Files: