Live Rock Question??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Chris Jones, Jul 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

I was out on my boat today. and I was snorkeling and I found some Rock out there that I liked for my NEW 90 ALL GLASS MEGA FLOW TANK (I'm so excited), and I will take pics the whole way through. I'm assuming that it is considered cured as it went straight from the ocean to my quarentine tank. 2 hours out of the water and wrapped the whole time in a wet towel to home. My question is what method should I use to get rid of any unwanted hitchhikers that may have come along? :confused:

Thanks in advance.
    Chris

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I could be wrong :-/ but I don't think that is legal ::) John

4. Chris Jones

If it is not a sanctuary or protected waters, it is legit. I get my sand and water while I'm out there too.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

That's Cool Just sounds to good to be legal ;D

6. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Sorry but Florida waters are protected and it is illegal. Thats why they are aqua culturing live rock in Florida now. That is besides the point now though. You should put is in a bare bottom tank and raise it off the floor of the tank. Add some bait (shrimp) on the floor of the tank and the nasties should come out for it. Watch out for Mantis shrimp as they can split you finger open.

7. Chris Jones

8. Click Here!

9. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

Chris Jones also said he brings in sand..I live right off the beach in Daytona and have often been tempted to get sand from there but was told by my LFS that it is very risky. Usualy phos is very high and bacteria levels? I've never brought any home and tested it, just took their word for it but the sand is very beautiful. Anyone know about any nasty little things in beach sand?

10. Chris Jones

There is a difference between the beach sand in Daytona and the sand/shale mix from deep water sand patches. This sand is constantly washed over with the tides and currents, and its ecosystem is healthy. Beach sand is more stagnant and possibly more likely to house whatever bacteria is not good. On the other hand, he would be taking bread off his table if he told you that was as "Good" of sand that he was going to sell you for $20 a bag. JMHO.

11. greyhawk

greyhawk Astrea Snail

beach sand is the oceans protien skimmer. fillters out all the crap.

12. Chris Jones

protein skimmers filter out particulate, they are not UV sterilizers.