Live rock loosing the purple color

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by serotonin, Jul 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Hello once more all! ;D

Since my tank is fishless for the next 3-4 weeks :sigh: I decided it's time to finish off my live rock decor. I have 30 lbs now and will be adding 75 more on sunday evening. My wife an I are taking a trip from WI to IN (premiumaquatics) to pickup the rock....I feel like a drugdealer or something, saying that.... anyways the fish are out b/c of a brooklynella problem :(

http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/another-clown-white-film-3-4-argh-36791.html

The rock that I have in there, is just not as brilliant in purple as it was when it was @ the LFS a few weeks ago. I do treat with kents liquid "calcium reactor" but I haven't tested the calcium yet (shame i know). Alas, I'm going to get a test kit tonight. My first guess is that there just isn't enough calcium in teh water. Any other thoughts?

I'm worried that perhaps something else is wrong with my water paramaters? ALso, i went through a cyano bloom a few weeks ago when i put 4 T5HO's on the tank and around the same time removed my canister filter. There currently is some form of white hair-like algea growing which im doing some research to find out what that is.

THX !!

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Adding light can most certainly cause the coralline on your rocks to fade out. I went through the same thing when I replaced my power compact fixture with metal halides.

4. serotonin

Yeah the LFS keeps all their stuff under single bulb 40watt unless there is corals in the tank. They won't sell LR out of those tanks for obvious reasons :) So that would make some sense. The folks at PremiumAquatics say they have MH over their tanks so hopefully that may be better! Thanks!

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I really would not worry. Coraline algae is very fussy when its out of water. When i take the powerheads out all the coraline bleaches...but in a few weeks it comes back. With good lighting it should all be fine in the long run.

1 person likes this.
  6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Corraline, .....
    It may be fading due to the light shock. Going from a NO fluorescent to a brighter light can do that. I would also check your Alkalinity level, just as a check up.

Jim

7. techrach

techrach Plankton

If you find out what the white hair like stuff is please post. I am having the same problrm

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

Nitrates and phosphates are the #1 cause for hair algae, from what I've gathered so far. I'm not currently using RO/DI water and that is more than likely why I'm having the problem. My nitrates are at 0ppm every time I test for them (weekly at least). I'm sure my dissolved organic and phosphate count farm from 0 (hehe).

Anyways, I'm back from Indiana now. I must say being in premium aquatics store was like being 10 years old again. Their prices are 1/2 my local retailers and I couldn't stop pulling things off the shelf! WEEEEEEEE :)

This picture doesn't do the rock justice. Yeah, the datestamp is a year early too WHUPS :)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

alot of rock. Nice. Where are the corals going?

11. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Wow... looks like a good start. Bunches of rock.. You know though, I am a big rock guy, I like lots of rock in my tanks too, and if you start with lots of real small corals instead of spending the big bucks on the big pieces, you can put tons and tons of different types in and watch them grow and cover... Kudos! I like it. Good luck! Keep us updated with pictures.

12. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I have used fiji gold before. That stuff rocks!