Live rock in QT tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by todd2000, Jan 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. todd2000

todd2000 Plankton

Hello

I've been cycling a QT tank for about 2.5 weeks now with just a power filter, and the ammonia is about 5ppm, no signs of nitrites, or nitrates yet. I put a cocktail shrimp in there to add the ammonia. Anyway I set up my main tank yesterday and have a bunch of life rock rubble that I don't want to use in the main tank. Would adding this to the QT tank speed up the cycling by adding bacteria? Or would the die-off create too much extra ammonia and actually slow it down? So to add the live rock or not, that is the question?

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you could use some lr rubble in the quarenteen tank it would also help let the tank hold exta bacteria when nothing is living in the tank but keep in mind if you do use any chemicals dont use the rock in your main tank especially if you are planning on keeping corals because the rock will absorb the chemicals and could release it if transferred to another tank. they actually reccomend nothing be in a quarenteen tank but i put a little sand in mine.

4. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I agree with Karla, The liverock will not beable to be used in the main tank ever. But if thats ok with you, go for it.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I my self would not use live rock in a QT tank, If you add chemicals to the QT tank with live rock in it you may essentially be killing your live rock causing a ammonia spike. JMO.................. John