Live Rock has different Colors. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by erock38, Oct 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

It is a 36 gallon bow front. 40 pounds of live sand. 5 pounds of live rock. A c-220 marineland canister filter. I have had the live rock and sand in there for about 2 weeks. and i have had the tank for about a month or so. I get my water test at a local pet store.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Buy your own test kits if you can.

Also you should have approximately 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon of water.

The rock will be your major filtration system in the long run.

4. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

It is a 36 gallon bow front. 40 pounds of live sand. 5 pounds of live rock. A c-220 marineland canister filter. I have had the live rock and sand in there for about 2 weeks. and i have had the tank for about a month or so. I get my water test at a local pet store.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

most LFS use cheap, old teat kits. I dont trust them.

6. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Personally I would buy a ton more live rock and ditch the canister filter. Your levels might be good now but once you add more rocks the levels are gonna spike again

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Does that algae fluoresce under actinics? If so, I had a few spots of it on my live rock when I first bought it. It ultimately disappeared.

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I wouldn't worry so much about the red algae. I've got he same stuff and it ebs and flows just like the pink stuff. Good looking rock you got there. +1 on getting some dry/base rock and watching the magic happen. It'll seed and spread faster than you have been told and before you know it 50 dollars worth of base rock will be 200 worth of live.

10. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

So I should get more dry rock or live rock? Will the dry rock rise/lower my levels in my tank and stress the crabs I already have in there?

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just get some more base rock. It takes a month to two to get your levels right anyways, and adding more base rock won't cause any ill effects. Keep your SG in check, and try not to put anything in the tank until you can confirm your levels are with in good spec.
    About 50 pounds should do it for now. I've got about 80-90 in my 55.

12. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

Ok! Well I will get more base rock and hopefully my live rock is doing fine and it won't mess up my other rocks.