Live Rock from PETCO

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by texanjordan, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I have a couple pieces from them and no complaints. I did notice at one location their rock was crawling with bristle worms. I see that as a good sign though some may not.

2. Click Here!

3. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

did it take a long time to cycle? also did you have to clean it or anything like that? did you start your aquarium new with it?

4. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

Check your nitrate and phosphate levels if you add their rock. Their fish manager here said that none of the stores are allowed to have an RO/Di filter per the district managers. So the SW they sell and their tanks get faucet water that has sometimes been filtered with carbon, sometimes not even that. Which explains why they always have cyano. I also only have a good survival rate from them if I use a very extended acclimation time 8 - 10 hours

5. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

If your getting it from petco, then order it online. That's where I got mine from and it was really cheap. They send you about 60 lbs for 100 bucks. It was the best deal around imho.

6. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

I have also heard this story a few times. I guess it depends on the petco, I would look into it

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would avoid it. Some have good expereinces with PETCO, and others have had bad. I think the problem is you really dont know with PETCO. You could have a great store...or your store could be like the one by my house. They are idiots over there. I would not buy anything from them...I would be concerned the rock was bad (Like I would not be at all suprised if they had it in a tank treated with copper....they are that slack at that store.). So I personally would err on the side of caution. Just my opinion though.

8. Click Here!

9. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

We have Petco live rock in our Pico and theres nothing at all wrong with it. Our local Petco has a very intelligent aquatics manager (dont know where or how they found him) so most of the stuff they sell is top notch. Cant say the same for all Petco stores because the majority of them seem to be pretty gross. Cant really go wrong with rock though, we got 10 pounds of it for $20 which beats paying the insane markup of $9.99 a pound at most local fish stores.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

My local Petco has some pieces in their display tanks. It was priced by the piece and it seemed pretty inexpensive. It looked like pretty dense LR though. With any LR purchase you risk getting some nasties.

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I got my LR from Petco :) Haven't been there for too much else but I didn't get any pests or anything.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I bought some and had no problems except it caused a diatom bloom. Last a couple of days and was gone.