Live Rock dilemma

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by OPForest, Jun 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Wish i did,,i've considered driving to TFP many times to check it out ..You said they have a great coral selection ,,how about frags?

2. Click Here!

3. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

They have a large shallow tank that is about 15 feet long. About 2 or 3 feet is small frags. The rest is a small to medium size corals. They also have 2 large tanks with corals and 2 anemone tanks.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I don't know of any now, but here's a bump for your question. There are a few others here on 3Reef from that region. :)

Marine Dreams in Belair was one that had excellent LR, but unfortunately, they, along with several other fine businesses in this area, closed during the 2008 - 2012 depression. Exotic Aquatic in Parkville was another, but they've downsized since my last visit (about 5 years ago), so I can't speak personally on their current stock.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

My first set up I started with dry pukani and a piece of LR from a local store. I dealt with issues for a while because of that. Now with this set up I went all dry base rock and it turned live in a matter of a month and no pests that I had to worry about. I've learned to not trust LFS's anymore around my area. Nice RC8 btw....great track bike!

7. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

I think I've decided to go with the live rock from TFP. Although there isn't that much life on it it's almost a half way between LR and dry. I'll be drilling my tank Saturday morning and I'm going to get the LR Sunday. Put it in a tub and start it curing. If it ends up looking terrible after a cure I'll give it a acid bath and start clean.

Ha thanks. It's a blast to ride but not that friendly in first or second around town. That doesn't stop me though.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

tell me about it. My every day rider on these "impeccable" NYC streets and traffic is my 1198sp. it feels like the bike is going to come apart in 1st and 2nd, but I guess that's just normal twin engine sport bike behavior....back to the rocks though, sounds like you have a plan on letting it cure outside your tank and watch it for anything funky.

10. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Ok well here it is. 30 LBS of Tukani

Attached Files:

11. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have tukani in two tanks and struggle with low nitrates in each one. This is by far the best live rock I have ever used, and I have used just about everything out there. 45lb is $110, so its actually cheaper than dry rock.

http://www.saltysupply.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=5459

You will be very happy with this rock I promise. You may not know it yet, but you will soon see that its crawling with life.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  12. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

That's a really good price. Unfortunately I already got mine at TFP.