Live rock curing

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Jay, Aug 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Curing LR in the tank accelerates the sink effect with detritous and organic matter settling into the sand bed. Separation avoids a large portion of that at the beginning.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

........and a lot less work if 40 pounds of rotting rock wasn't put in there in the first place :)

John :)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1093236601;start=0#10 date=08/23/04 at 21:46:10]Curing LR in the tank accelerates the sink effect with detritous and organic matter settling into the sand bed.  Separation avoids a large portion of that at the beginning.[/quote]

Guess I can see that.
    Especially if you don't siphon your sand bed at all.

Rotting is key here. And relevant to this discussion since Jay's rock had stuff that was 'dying.' I see that now. I guess I just don't mind cleaning up the mess in the tank and taking my time if I'm not threatening anything by doing so. Maybe I'd shake stuff out in a bucket a bit. My way ain't the highway though, point taken.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think I will wait till Wednesday nd do a 75% water change and use my vacume to clean the aragonite gravel I have. I have 1 of those magnum delux 350 canisters that I can hook up my vacume to and vacume for 3 hours if I need to and then I will clean the canister and see where I am on friday. Not all the rock is dying. I did order the cured premium rock and it came 2 day air in a mig plastic bag with newspaper and then in a styrofoam cooler. The rocks are only white in a couple places. Enoughf to worry me though. My aqua remora filled almost a inch of the brown stuff plus I have that new canister filter that has only been used 1 week.
    Pretty clear water that has no smell at all. Only 1 rock smelled bad when I took them out and shook them in a bucket and ran a tooth brush to the loose stuff on saturday. I am also getting a little brown algea on some of the gravel. I think they might be ok. If things look worse thursday then I will pull half the rock and cycle it in a plastic trash can. I guess cycling your tank with 45 pounds is not such a great idea.

Thanks again everyone

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Heres some pics from my old camers. Anyone wanna see some shots of my oscar tank ...I could snap a few and post them

Attached Files:

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Pic number 2....cant I post more than 1 poc per reply?
    How

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Pic 3

Attached Files:

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Pic 4...This is from the day I got the rocks....se the color difference.

BRB..Im gonna go see if the oscars will pose for a mug

Attached Files:

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

No problem Jay, lookin' good!

12. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Jay, if you use your photo gallery you can upload 4 or 5 pics at a time. ;)

BTW I wish I had discovered this forum before I started my reef tank, curing 90 lbs of LR in a 50 gallon tank was a really bad idea. All the books I read made it sound like it was OK to do that in a new setup. Sure I ended up with a great bio filter, but very little else. >:(