Live rock, cured vs uncured and quantity?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by BB23, Mar 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

About not having the critters in cured rock... When the LFS or where ever cures the rock, the critters from there will be on and inside the rocks. Its not like you can pick out all of the critters from the rocks there going to be in there no matter what.
    -Jordan

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yeah but alot of that dies off in transit that is why it has to be cured! But alot of it will grow back fortunately

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Right, everytime your rock hits air, even for a short amount of time you will have some die off... It is better if you can buy your rock close to your house and transport them in water, not dry like allot of places do.
    -Jordan

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Amen to that!!!! I hear ya!

6. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I see your point, but I was reading this paragraph (in the very first post) as being the main question:

"My other question was how much live rock do you think i need for a 150 gallon, trickle filter, bioball system within a 20 long sump, 220 (gallon rated) coralife protein skimmer. 2 actinic and 2 super actinic lights (48 inch lights) And currently there is nothing in the tank besides a few pieces of lava rock. (we started completely anew) And were planning on keeping this as a reef tank."

In that context, I didn't interpret the main question as being "cured or un-cured"; I interpreted it as being "cured or un-cured for my NEW tank".
    Sorry if I took that out of the proper context. (I'm very good at that!....just ask my wife...:-[)