little white brittle star

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by zombie13, Jun 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zombie13

zombie13 Fire Worm

they measure only about 1/2" they look like baby brittle stars. is that what they are or are they something else and should i worry about them. could that be just a hitch hiker on a coral i picked up and nothing to worry about? mainly im thinking there baby brittle's cant seem to find one when ever i have a camara handy but. they look like a really small white brittle star.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

dunno what they are called but i used to have a solid pink coraline algee back glass'

used to

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yup, they are mini Brittle Sea Stars and if you have live rock, chances are you have these as well that come via hitchhiking on your live rock. Definitely beneficial to your tank! The more the better...
    Cool, be glad you have them Bill!

2 people like this.
  5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i have them and they are good to have.several people bugged me till i gave them some of mine.

1 person likes this.
  6. zombie13

zombie13 Fire Worm

that is what i thought they were. but wanted to make sure better safe than sorry thank you everyone

1 person likes this.
  7. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Do you have any pics of these. I have a tons of them and they have leveled my coral to death. My acro and mushrooms are all gone from these little things. I have been sucking them out of my tank for about 2 months now. Looking for a Harlquin shrimp to get rid of them for me.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I think that what you're talking about is an asterina star.

10. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Ya Asterina's eat corals not brittle stars. I just started noticing a month ago that I have tons of brittles in my substrate. I want to catch some and put them in my hubby's tank but it's hard to get them out of CC.

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if you catch them one at a time and put them in another tank they often just die.you need to just scoop some of the cc up that their in and dump it in the other tank.i put a net bag of course ceramic in my tank for a few days then transfer it to the tank i want it in.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not all of them eat corals. I've had a ton of these starfish and they've never bothered anything. There supposedly is a variety of asterinas that do eat corals but I've never seen them and I don't think that they hitchike into our aquariums too often.