(LIST IS NEAR COMPLETION) Fish Ideas For A Tank of X Gallons [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JJL, May 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

UPDATE ;)
    I combined 90 &100 Gallons then 100-120 Gallons. Most fish who can go in a 100 can go in a 90. Most fish who can go in a 120 can go in a 100. If this is not the case for a certain fish I will specify. Keep the suggestions coming.
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hows about a Sixline Soapfish for a 75?
    Also, Regal Angel for 120, Wimplefish in a 90, Pakistani Butterfly 90

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I think I am going to stay away from soapfish as I believe they are difficult to keep, cxorrect me if I am wrong. The other suggestions look great though.
    K+ to you ;)
    JJL

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Not too bad IME, just poisonous and they may secrete toxins when stressed. Not the ideal newbie fish;D
    Anyway, JJL, I don't think chromis should be in anything under 40. IME they need to be in a school of 3 or more to be happy and have at least 36" of swimming space for the small ones. Also, they are not an ideal beginner fish and are labeled as such because of their relatively low price. Sorry, will go find argument thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

snowflake eel 75 min, no 55 gallons. also some3reefer i wouldnt keep one clown in anything under a 10 gallon let alone two. im sure it could be done tho. just most beginners wont be right on top of params like you are with your nanos.

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Are you going to qualify any kind of tank length on some of these? I had a flasher wrasse in a 3 ft tank & it was not long enough for him. Not sure I'd recommend, from personal experience, a 50 gallon tall or cube shaped tank for one.

10 gallons: Red headed goby (< 2")

30 gallons: Matted/Atlantic Green/Aiptasia-eating filefish (~3")

40 gallons: Pajama cardinal, Orbic cardinal, Black cardinal (~3" but they get tall)

50 gallons: Diamond Watchman Goby (~6")

55 gallons: Sleeper Blue Dot/6-spot Goby (5.5" and a pacer), Flasher wrasses

Those last 2 gobies are definitely not for a 20 gallon!

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is not the case, chromises are related to damsels closely and are also some of the hardiest fish to keep. and also about the schooling thing you would be lucky to get them to school in anything under a 125 gallon tank. otherwise theyll fight. i believe 3 chromises could easily be kept in a 20 gallon tank by themselves.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

its just standard tanks, so the standard 50 gallon 20 gallon 30 gallon and so on. no cube tanks or tall tanks or anything

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Yup just the standard sizes. I did this thinking that most beginners will not have special shaped tanks.

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks for the contibutions!
    Updating the list now ;)
    JJL