Lionfish SMASH!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaltLifeChris, Oct 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

OMG! I'll say AGAIN! I support the killing!!!!! It HAS to be done. It makes me flinch when I see it, but I know it needs to be done.

I shouldn't be flinching on a pet site. That's all I'm saying.

2. Click Here!

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am not trying to preach to anyone, but I am saying that it is important to the hobby that they are controlled because more fish that we collect are at risk then just the 1 species of lionfish that have a home elsewhere where some of these fish that are being encroached on do NOT.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

I'm not saying the topic should not be discussed, but "Lionfish Smash?".

I would have not said a word had this been posted on my scuba forum.

5. SaltLifeChris

SaltLifeChris Astrea Snail

I understand this is favorite fish, but this topic was posted in the "ENVIROMENTAL" section not in your care guide.

I really had no intention to offend you or anyone else on this forum, the sole purpose of my post was to educate, enlist and recruit any enabling divers and other marine enthusiasts (which I believe are forum members) about the cause and chance to do their part.

If the TITLE of the tournament offends you... I'll let them know we have some "lion fish huggers" ;) out here, and see if we can get it changed to something more like the Key Largo Lionfish ROUNDUP

But anyways here are some intersting facts about this invasive species:

Invasion history
    • Two visually identical species of lionfish were introduced into the Atlantic via the US aquarium trade beginning in 1980’s
    • Lionfish invaded range is NC to South America including the Gulf of Mexico
    • Lionfish have established throughout most of the Caribbean in less than 3 years (first reports outside of the Bahamas in 2007)

Biology
    • Lionfish may live longer than 15 years reaching sizes exceeding 47cm (~20 in.)
    • Lionfish inhabit all marine habitat types and depths (shoreline to over 600’)
    • Lionfish possess venomous spines capable of deterring predators and inflicting serious stings and reactions in humans
    • Lionfish become sexually mature in less than 1-year and spawn in pairs
    • In the Caribbean a single female lionfish can spawn over ~2 million eggs/year
    Reproduction occurs throughout the year about every 4 days
    • Lionfish eggs are held together in a gelatinous mass and are dispersed at the ocean’s surface by currents, where their larval duration is ~26 days

Ecology
    • Lionfish can reach densities over 200 adults per acre
    • Lionfish are generalist carnivores that consume >56 species of fish and many invertebrate species, with prey up to half the lionfish’s body size
    • Many lionfish prey are commercially, recreationally, or ecologically important
    • Dense lionfish populations can consume more than 460,000 prey fish/acre/year
    On heavily invaded sites, lionfish have reduced their fish prey by up to 90% and continue to consume native fishes at unsustainable rates
    • Native predators exhibit avoidance for lionfish

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I am a diver, and a fish enthuist. I also have a couple lion fish in my house of tanks and love the fish but I thought this was a great thing your doing and not offended at all. I am in florida on vacation and had I planed better id go to the lion fish smash, bash or round up.... The point you made is that you want to educate the enviormental impact and be informitive of this species. People like me could probally lear thing about the species that I was un aware of and even though being a big fan of this fish speak that I was not offended to read this as a diver or a fish keeper. I think we are taking the name out of context. Awesome thing your doing wish I could make it.

7. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I think if nothing else, this is a great avenue for educating new reefers about the importance of researching this hobby, and the impact that we may have. Look at how the invasion started, hobbyists introduced the species into a non-native enviroment. Had those hobbyists researched more, they may have realized this species was something they could not handle or properly care for in the first place.

As for offense, NONE TAKEN. As an avid hunter and fisherman, I understand the need for these practices. In non-native species and even native species, it is important that populations be managed for the overall health of the ecosystem.

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Well said.

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Wow, Lionfish hugger.... That means you still never heard what I said. I don't know how else to say it.

IM FOR THE POPULATION CONTROL OF LIONS. I SUPPORT THE EFFORT. IF YOU SEE A LION IN THESE WATERS, BY ALL MEANS KILL IT. IM NOT TRYING TO PROTECT THEM.

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I heard what you said I understand what your saying. but I think the way you siad it was wrong. you should not come on this site as fish lovers and say something like this? you drove your point home we all got it. then its your fav fish so dont word as smash. Yes we heard it respect it but he did not say anything wrong other then word it as smash which offended you...... his point is to educate and make an understanding of the impact on the enviorment....... let it go

12. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I hope you weren't referring to my post. It wasn't directed at you at all, I was simply voicing my opinion on the matter. No attack or argument intended. Might wanna pump the brakes a little. We're not out to offend, just have a discussion which is what I thought this forum was for.