lionfish question

Discussion in 'Lionfish Lair' started by chum, Mar 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

hello everyone, i am fairly new to this forum. i bought a 7" lionfish last may from a local fish store. they had feed him goldfish for a few years. i have been able to feed him frozen silversides since i got him. he seems to be around 8" now. i do feed him one per day. i am no expert on this species and i bought him because he was in a small tank and i felt bad for him. am i feeding him correctly ? thanks for any input.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I fed mine a dozen feeder fish twice a week he did really well was growing like a weed then apparently got a bad batch. I fed him he was fine three days later he was bones in the sand. I could never get him to eat frozen food. As long as his stomach looks full he is fine. Keep doing what your doing.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

*claps*

*lays down ghost shrimp*

*dances*

Arise lionfish lair, arise.

5. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yea lionfish are the biggest pigs. As soon as I open my lid my lionfish stays face up waiting for anything to eat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364164700.188933.jpg

6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks for all the input !

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Hi there! Can you post a picture of him? What brand of Silversides have you been feeding him? Can you get fresh seafood from your local market?

Predators are use to gorging and then sitting back and digesting their food. Every day feeding is not beneficial and really isn't recommended, especially as they get older.

We feed everything that isn't a juvie on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We feed until their bellies look nice and full or they stop eating. Some never stop, so if the belly is quite bulgy, stop.

If he's been fed goldfish for a number of years, his health pretty much sucks no matter what he looks like on the outside. He may already be having issues with fatty liver which impedes function. If he's only 7" and yet a few years old, his growth has been majorly stunted. If he'll eat silversides, try marine varieties of fish and inverts from your market. Salmon, scallop, cod, shark.... anything salty. Variety really is the key.

LOL @ Devin.

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

LMAO...good one!

What size tank has the fish been in for those two years?

10. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

hello, he was in a 75 gallon and now he is in a 120 that is 4x2x2. i am going to try to feed him the way the previous post stated.thanks alot.

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

feeder fish as in goldfish? if so goldfish do not have the correct nutrients to sustain a lionfish over a long period of time.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If fed properly, he can still grow to his full magnificent potential as long as organs weren't damaged by malnutrition and stress.

It isn't even debatable that a single food item, let alone an inappropriate one, cannot sustain any fish unless they are obligate feeders. They need all the vitamins/minerals/nutrients we need. If I ate a plain burger and fries every single day, I too would live, my belly would indeed be fat, but I would be far from healthy. Literally millions of dollars go into the study and practice of properly feeding fish for maximum growth and health.

Not all silversides are created equal. Could you tell me the brand you have?