Lionfish Feeding Tips (mine is STUBBORN)

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by haloist, May 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

FINALLY! He ate his FIRST Silverside ! ! ! ! Thank you guys for your advices - it worked - he ate! : D

2. Click Here!

3. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

i have the reverse problem. my volitan has eaten silversides and krill since last october and for the last 3 weeks has refused to eat anything but a few tiny krill. i had to get live goldfish today just so he'd have some food. i'm gonna try what others suggested as well to ween him back to frozen. i dont like the idea of keeping a 10g tank running just to have food.

4. Sco-tie

Sco-tie Bristle Worm

just a bit off subject but curiosly how do you move a lionfish from the store to your tank? bucket? net? im going to get one but im mainly concerned about moving him without hurting him

5. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

your standard net and bag for mine, was about 4" long when i got. but in some cases a larger net and larger bag or other means.

6. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, my family freaks when they see me feed him live food, so I can't feed him live food. Also, I heard goldfishes aren't the best for lionfish, it gives them stomach problems in the long run. For your lionfish, I think adding a little garlic smell to the food enhances the chance of him eating it too. Let me know how it goes!

7. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Their spines can get caught in the net. I usually do it bucket-style to avoid spine losses. I think I used a very big ladle to transfer him from the bucket to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

yea it's more or less a temporary fix, i got 5 gf only just so he has some sort of food. i do not want to feed him goldfish for very long at all. i'll try the garlic smell on some silversides.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Danios or any brackish fish are a safer live feeder than goldfish. Goldfish will lack the nutrients the lionfish needs in saltwater animals/food.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  12. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Hey Incognito, that's a really good site! I've never thought of those techniques, I'll have to use those methods next time I have another stubborn eater! Thanks!