Linking heaters?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kdneo, Dec 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

I have a 240gal system that currently has a 500watt heater in it. The heater seems to run constantly. Is there a way to add another heater, but run them both off of the same thermostat? That way they turn on and shut off together. Anyone know?

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

You could probably do it with a controller, but it doesn't really mater if they run and shut off at the same time.

4. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

no, but it would ensure they are set to the exact same temp. Thats the biggest thing, 1 or 2 degrees off would leave one of them running for a lot longer than the other

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I use two heaters vs one in my 75g. One in the tank & one in the sump.

This was my solution I came up with after reading all the threads about having one heater, it fails & nukes a tank. I figure if I have 2 smaller ones (but still meet/exceed over all gallons), and 1 dies or over heats the temperature transition will be slower and give me more time to catch it before things freeze or boil. Plus I think it allowes more even heat transfer across the board coming from different points & not just one.

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ah ok. You could do it with a controller and a temp probe, then set both heaters to go on and off based on the temp probe.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

What kind of heater? If you have a controller, you can get an outlet splitter and run as many as you want. Or if you have a more advanced controller, such as an apex or DA, you can program the outlets individually. If you are using the built in thermostat, in the heater, you can just test them by putting them in the same water and turning them down until they go off. If one is a degree or two lower than the other, just adjust accordingly...

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I currently run three off my temp controller/probe.

I'm switching to gas heat soon to save on power :D (not joking)