Lingering bacteria bloom makes me wanna start over! (Unresolved)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by insanespain, Nov 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I havent read through the entire thread but i had a issue with a bloom due to the fact my Ph dropped and i had a Co2 issue.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

My ph is at 8.2 everyday with the lights on. A co2 issue? What caused that?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. insanespain

Yeah but I ended up doing some big water changes to try and get rid of the cloudiness and in 30 min its right back to how it was. A huge water change only clears it up a slight bit for a short time. The ats screen had some growth the first week, I am now on the 2nd week. I cleaned the screen after week 1 and now after halfway through the 2nd week it looks about the same as it did after week 1, so maybe its getting better? I have no cyno on the screen or black growth. Its green, maybe a touch yellow but pretty green, its just not heavy at all.

I'm about to move the fish to my 29 gallon and let the tank sit without feeding and then order a cuc from reefcleaners. Hopefully if I take away all of the waste source the bacteria will run out of food?

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yeah, even tho I couldnt identify the cause of the bloom I had, pretty much wherever ended up said let it take its course unfortunately. Its good that you have another tank to evacuate in. I would move them as well.
    Keep us updated!

6. insanespain

Just an update, the bloom is still there. Now I also have cyno all over my sand. I'm gettin super frustrated. The fish and corals are doing fine, but the tank looks terrible. I can't even see the back wall. I've searched every forum on the web and found a few threads where ppl are having the same problem. A couple stated that a uv sterilizer finally helped them rid the bloom. I'm thinking about buying one, as I'm out of options. Also going to order a huge CUC from reefcleaners.

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Lack of the amount of fresh air in my house cause im never home so nothing to really move air on. Im still trying to fix that but i havent had any luck yet.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The uv will kill the bacteria, but that will release the nutrients back into the system. It seems that sometimes it does work though, but other times the bloom comes back, or it just turns into something like hair algae, which is unaffected by uv. The best thing is to find and remove the source. If you can't do that, a diatom filter is preferable to uv IMO, as it will remove the bacteria and nutrients rather than just kill the bacteria and redistribute he nutrients. There was a thread a while back where someone had success with a magnum hob filter. I guess you can run diatoms in it and it doubles as a canister filter if you ever need to run some extra carbon or something. Not a bad thin to have. The vortex diatom filters are probably better, but they only serve as diatom filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

do you have macro algae? They can reproduce and make the water cloudy.

11. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

A couple weeks ago i ordered some frag plugs off ebay they are the ceramic kind.So when i got them i figured i would just throw them in my sump and let them sit till i was ready for them and to let them get some growth on them.So a few days later my tank was super cloudy so by this time i had forgotten i threw them in there.I changed all my filter pads,added a carbon pad and did a large water change.I got nothing no results not even immediate or after 3 days.So at this point i was the same as you so really brain stormed and realized that i should try pulling the plugs and the next day it was super clear again.I was stoked.

12. insanespain

I had no idea what a diatom filter was. After looking up the vortex diatom filters, it sounds exactly like what I need to try. Do you have a link to a thread for modding a hob filter to run diatoms? I think this is my best shot yet.