Lime green algae .. ID?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by NYGiants, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

So I noticed this lime / neon green algae taking over all my white base rock recently and was wondering what in the wolrd is this?

I tried scratching / removing a small area off w/my finger but it didn't budge..

Is this bad or good? The pics don't show the proper coloration... its more of a highlighter neon green...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Astrea Snail

How old is your tank? Do you have any herbivore or omnivore animals in your tank?

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

It's really hard to tell from the picture. You have a beautiful coralline piece of rock there. I had hard green lightish green show up in my tank on the glass primarily. I got all excited because I thought it was the beginning of coralline. It seemed to be its own type of algae and it didn't turn to coralline but eventually I started getting coralline after this green showed up.....

5. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Tank is a little past 2 months old... in the tank is a pair of clownfish and a foxface... and snails for CUC... Why?

6. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Rock is brand new. Does not even have any periphyton yet.

Probably phosphate is leaking out.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This always appears on my base rock when cycling a tank. I can not provide a positive ID but I do not think it's a bad thing or anything to be concerned about.