lights? MH vs LED(radion) or T5?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by skmo41, Sep 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skmo41

skmo41 Astrea Snail

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on lighting type. I Guess it mostly seems preference between LED and MH now with new LED technology ?
    Also with MH can you still use a dimmer or no?

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

no

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

no

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I think there are dimmable ballasts for MH, but they don't function like an LED dimmer.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

You can dim metal halide lights but it's not like a timer or remote. You can also buy dimmable T5 units as well but are costly. It comes down to being honest with yourself and budget accordingly. Remember one thing, make sure you like what you buy because you'll be looking at it. I would look at different setups in person. Just because a light can grow coral doesn't mean you'll like the look of the tank. To me and now it's just my opinion but I think T5 and halide look great because I like the T5 glow with a nice shimmer from the halide. T5 alone gets boring and some led fixtures have to much shimmer and it makes me dizzy. T5 and led look great too but costly. Not trying to make it complicated, just look around to find what you like and make sure it can support the life you intend to keep.

7. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

you might can dim mh but there spectrum would also be affected its the spectrum with mh thats important. cost of them is very expensive also. good mh bulbs are 80 to 100 dollars there spectrum last about 6 to 12 months you have to change them every year as you have to also change t5 once a year. LEDS spectrum stays the same you don't have to replace them ever, they last 50,0000 hours and the cost of them you can buy a 3x55 watts unit for 79.00 the cost of one mh. and there is also the heat that comes with mh very hot. you just about have to have a water cooler there also expensive. I hope this helps as someone who has used all the above.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm sorry buy I never paid more than 60 dollars for a 20k radium. To say led lights hold perfect spectrum until they fail is just not true. I've read led fixtures loosing spectrum and brightness as any other light that begins to fail so I disagree in saying that leds are superior. All lights whether MH, T5 or led have strong points and weaknesses alike and all I was saying is for the op to buy what fits his liking. Also, once a MH bulb is fully heated up how does dimming the bulb brightness affect the color spectrum? Why make a dimmable ballast if it's going to make your 20k bulb put out a 10k spectrum? Not trying to be difficult, just pointing out that there are options other than leds

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

its true LEDS they hold there spectrum. put the mh under light tester and turn it down see if you don't lose spectrum because they work under the heat of the lamp