Lights for a 37g reef

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by pshootr, Feb 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

It seems T5 is a little more $ than PC. But sounds very worth it.
    I have to get off here for a bit but will be back. Thanks Birchell:)

2. Click Here!

3. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

OK It appears that most or all "24" PC are (2 X 65 watts, 130 watts total) $132.95 for (Currant USA)

And "24" T5 comes in either (4 X 24 watts 96 watts, total) or (6 X 24 watts, 144 watts total)
    4 X 24 = 96 watts $189.95 for (Aqua Medic)
    6 X 24 =144 watts $264.95 for (Aqua Medic)

So, watt for watt T5 cost more. However supposedly watt for watt T5 produces more lumen's. I guess my first question would be (How many watts is to much for a tank that is 24L X 18D X 21T) ? Assuming 144 watts would be best for this tank, I would then ask is the extra $132.00 worth the extra 14 watts you would gain by using the (6 X 24 T5) over the (2 X65 PC) ?:-/

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

I wouldent think so man, watt's are watt's no matter what light they are coming out of. the spectrum and colour would be the difference. IMO your not going to get a substancial difference in growth with the extra 14 watts, especially for the price! I am a big fan of the pc lights on small tanks but i know allot of people will argue me :)

Good luck!
    -Jordan

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

A Watt is a measure of power consumed, not the amount light produced. Lumens and Lux is a measure of light ouput and PAR or PPFD is a measure of usable light output for photosynthesis. T5 HO's have more light output per watt than PC's.

If it was my money I would go with the T5 HO's, less heat than the metal halides and more light than the PC's. JMHO

Good luck with either choice ;)

Jim

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  6. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Guess I am going to bat this one around for a while. Thank you every one for your input.;D

7. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I really want to explore all of my options, and there are many options apparently lol. And am now thinking about MH again. Question is what wattage for a MH would be a good choice for softies LPS and some SPS? As a reminder the tank in mind is a 37 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. The tank is 21 inches tall. I was thinking 150 watts may be best. Or perhaps 70 watt MH with a couple 24 watt T5. All suggestions are welcome, thanks.:juggle2:

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

10. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i would go with 250 watts retrofit metal halide if you wanna make a tall canopy. You can find in ebay for cheap. If no tall canopy whanted, those mh fixtures talked about above are good, just pricey. So the next best option, (and my favorite) is the t5's. JMHO

11. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Thanks alot guys for the ideahs. I looked at them all. The sunpod is a very nice setup, but a little pricey as mentioned. From a value perpective, which is important to me, the 250 watt retro is a great deal for the wattage. I am inclined to go with that and make a DIY canopy. Although I'm a little worried that 250 watts may be to much. I do not wish to use a chiller. Think this tank can maintain decent temps with a 250 watt retro MH? This is the kicker for me. As I have never used one before. If my system were to have say 34 gallons of actuall water due to sand rock pumps ect. That would be 7.3 watts per gallon. Ofcourse I realize that method is a rule of thumb. Now where do I stand. LOL Usually in the summer I keep the house temp around 78... So think 250 watts is ok, or think 175 might be better?

12. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Okay, the next two weeks, ima be building a canopy and installing a 250 watt retro mh and 2 96watt atnics pc's for my 40gal. breeder. I am going to placed maybe 4 fans on the canopy. Right now my water has a stable temperature of 77 degrees. and in the summer usually 78-79. Im calculating maybe a 1 degree or two diferent in my tank. But ima be giving it maybe 1' off the top of the tank. I dont think ima have a problem, lets see.