Lightning maroon clownfish on ebay

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Incomplete penetrance relates to the expression of the alleles. A common example would be even though you have the alleles for breast cancer, you may or may not develop it depending on how those alleles interact with the environment. It's more like a predisposition for breast cancer. Given that these appear to have some patterning very early, it's not much like the example above. Even if the allele is "dominant" it may not always show even if it is present. It would take more than an F1 to determine this.

Some things that can relate to incomplete penetrance: age. Different genes are turned on at different time of life (relates to pattern development, perhaps). Environmental: your alleles are "interacting" with the environment and depending on the conditions, some genes are activated while others are not. Epigenetic: The gene may be under the control of another gene. For example, you may have the Lightning allele, but if another gene has inactivated the loci, you wouldn't know it. Polygenic: If multiple genes need to interact in order to produce the phenotype.

I'm not sold on anything obviously :)

2. Click Here!

3. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Good read and I hope all goes well.

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Personally I think they are kinda ugly. ha. I mean the lightning part would be cool if it was...idk how to put it, but nicer? These ones on ebay look like junk!

5. ROAST N BEEF

ROAST N BEEF Astrea Snail

I just pray ORA or SA gets them so then I can get the Picasso cheaper lol

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Won't help the Picassos breed any truer, which is a big part of the cost of them ;)

7. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

M.pedersen how long have you been at this research? noob question but are the lighten limited to the amount of time they lay eggs a year or is it more of a ratio issue of which will be "true" lightning(LM) ?

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I think it has nothing to do with genetics. Some of these fish just WANT to be cooler.

10. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1million.

Even the fonze came out of the womb with slick hair and a leather jacket.

11. mpedersen

mpedersen Plankton

I definitely understand folks who have this opinion. I think it's a lack of vision as to how the fish have progressed to date, and how they will likely continue to progress as they mature. Again, it's still speculation, but I've put my estimate at 2-3 years for pattern development. This isn't unheard of by any stretch...look how a fish like Latezonatus changes and morphs as it goes from a tiny baby to a 5-6" adult. Or the fact that Onyx Percs can take years (the ones derived from natural lines) to show final mature color.

Again, check out the pattern development in the first year. Don't necessarily look just at the close months...look at perhaps the 6 month markers. Lightning Maroon Clownfish Pattern Progression – Updated through June 18, 2013 - The Lightning Project

Also look back at the earlier photos I pulled and posted here. I think it's clear...Lightning is probably a trait that just develops and refines over a rather long time period. That's my guess and I'm sticking by it.

This is a very basic overview of the timeline.

Year 1 - keeping the Lightning Male in the hopes of finding a PNG female to mate it with.
    Year 2 - failing to find a PNG female (due to PNG supply issues), turn the lightning female and pair it with a smaller lightning.
    Year 3 - first spawns at the start of year three - fish we're selling now are the result of that.
    Year 4 - Yes, we're into the 4th year now, and for 2013 so far I have 2 rinky dink offspring.

As far as spawning frequency, that's anyone's guess. Both bouts of spawning occurred in the spring. Certainly not enough to say that this pair spawns, once a year, in spring however, and that's not necessarily typical for clownfish in captivity. However they're wild fish, they could have some ingrained patterns. Meanwhile, the OTHER wild PNG pair has yet to spawn at all. It could just be that they're still "young" and thus, not in the groove yet. They could never "get into the groove" either...some clowns are just like that.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

love this thread. Thanks for the info and would love to hear more.