Lightning maroon clownfish on ebay

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by DBOSHIBBY, Jun 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HightechRedneck

HightechRedneck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had 3 of these...

...Then I woke up

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

They are F1's
    IIRC the pinched heads and small fins were from excessive fighting as young.

5. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Yeah, it looks like the more normal looking ones are still going for $500-$1000 :eek:

7. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Anything out there more $$ then these? Or is this Bugatti of fish?

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Plenty of fish more than these. I would consider these the bugatti of clownfish tho.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Have been following this story since right after collection, even before Matt P. acquired the female.

It's a fascinating process.

While I could never afford one, I can for sure see the attraction.

Quite frankly I am surprised that Lightings or offspring of have become available so quickly.

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Those are some really sick markings......no wonder they auctioned. Something I saw that made this article interesting....simple clay pots for nest beds.

12. mpedersen

mpedersen Plankton

Some of the odd mouth shapes, maybe that was fighting (these fish do a lot of tug of war, and that can damage growing mouthparts and cause deformities). The missing and substandard fins? Almost certainly from early damage that's been regrowing, sometimes scarred. Case in point, look at the ventral fins on my "progression fish"; Lightning Maroon Clownfish Pattern Progression – Updated through June 18, 2013 - The Lightning Project - this one was pretty roughed up when I pulled him as my own, and as he's grown one ventral fin regrow well, while the other completely atrophied. So my favorite fish...only has one ventral fin.

The pinched heads I'm less certain of. At the time this batch ran I didn't have RotiGreen Omega on hand, so we used the Nano version which is lower in DHA. Could less DHA have been a play? Certainly a possibility...DHA is highly critical to marine fish larval development. Then again, I think on some fish we're being overly critical of the "pinched head" and here's why:

[​IMG]

That's "Mom". Technically, she has a little pinched head herself. Could this photo be evidence of an undesirable genetic trait that the mom has and has passed on to her offspring? I don't know..it's possible for sure. Either way, I hope subsequent breeders and batches are better than what I got out of this first run.