Lighting my 40G, ?s about 120W dimmable LEDs

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by oadasilva, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I mean are the par readings comparable to the AI and radieon? If so why are they soooo much more expensive? Is it just because they could be until these other fixtures started showing up now? I mean if they can make comparable lights for much less, these big names must be making huge margins as far as their profits go.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

The AI sol can be configured with 40 degree optics all around and can put out some serious par if not mounted high enough. Grims tank for example runs 40 degree optics but they are mounted 16" AWL if i recall correctly.

My ai's are a mix of 40 and 70 degree optics. im sure i get great par, but dont have a par meter to test.

One thing you are forgetting is the controlability on the radion and AI sol / vega.

4. Toallhisdoom

Yea so for 300$ less you can not control it that much. BUT is there any true evidence that our corals will benefit from "dawn/dusk" or "natural clouds/storms"? really truly want to know if there is. because that could be a huge factor. I have never head anything to say that this will promote better growth tho.

I know from experience of growing "plants" that my indoor plants in a controlled setting under a consistent set light schedule grew much better then the outdoor ones. And yes i realize that there are many other variables here. But just my observation.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I myself benefit from the controlability, cant really say that my coral cares, but i am mimicing nature as best i can. i can fine tune the color with my lights. the ai sol only has 3 channels of control while the ai vega has 20.....seriously all 20 leds can be controlled independitly. there are also 8 different color options.

Like ive already said, the taotronics performs, and i think is a great option for those on a budget....i didnt want to start a "why ai and ecotech are so expensive conversation"

6. Toallhisdoom

not what i meant for it to come off as. just was wondering if the "weather" or control ability really helps? or people just like it because its cool. I do agree being able to control the colors is nice.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I never use the weather, or thunderstorm function. except to show off to my friends, they love it. the fish dont care.