Lighting for SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Ryan Duchatel, Aug 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Well in that case, the 2x150 metal halides alone would give you more than enough, but the T5's help with color and, of course, extra wattage. That fixture should be fine. Just be very careful when you start acclimating coral, so you don't bleach them.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thanks,

Im just trying to determine whats the most appropriate. 2 x 250W Halides or 2 x 150W Halides with 2 x 54W T4's. Taking into considering keeping SPS and electricity costs :)

Is there such things as to much light?

Do you guys think hanging these light fitting a foot above the tank is best? Or can I tank mount it that is 4' above the tank? I have actually found a light brace, that I can hang stuff off, without it actually being from the roof. This could be better.

4. Camkha1234

There definitely is such a thing as too much light ;)

I think that the 250's might be a bit much.

I think that it would be better if you hang it about a foot, because if you hang it 4 feet, not as much light would get to the tank.

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Sorry I mean a tank mount that was 4inch, not 4ft :) haha. But thats still probably not enough height, I saw a nifty hanging system that could support light fitting up to 120cm, but the might fitting I want to get is 125cm :-(. haha

6. Camkha1234

Oh, okay :) I would still go with a foot, because you don't want to fry your tank ;)

7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

For sure!!!. I think I will go with the 150W, providing I hear back from the supplier that it fits the hanging frame I want :)

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Sounds good! Let us know how everything goes :) Do you have any corals at the moment?

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Just a few small LPS. A hammer, torch, toadstool, Xenia and Kenya tree.

11. Camkha1234

Then you're going to to want to light acclimate them VERY slowly. Start them at the bottom of the tank and run the lights for about 4 hours. Raise the lighting schedule an hour each day until you get your desired light schedule. Then move the corals up a little bit each day until you get them where you want them to be.

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Will do :) Thanks for the advice :).

Unfortunately the supplier doesn't think the light will fit.

My tank is 122cm, the light is 125cm and the hanging system is only as long as your tank.... Which is a bummer.