Lighting for my 3g pico

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Inertiatic, Mar 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Well it took a week before my pygmy angel decided it would be fun to harass my new clam. It has spent that past two days pretty much closed up. I put together a mesh cover over it to allow it to open and receive some light without being harassed.

I have a 3 gallon tank lying around that was used for FW. I'm going to turn it into a reef and move my clam over there. I've been trying to think of the most economical and best way to light this little tank.

The small 6'' T5 that came in the hood would heat the water up in the summer, so I'm thinking LED is probably the best bet. I figure a BoostLED par30 bulb will definitely be enough light for my crocea clam and might be the best bang for my buck at $74.99.

I could do a DIY LED setup, but I have no clue how many LEDs I would need and if it is even worth the cost.

I would love any suggestions you guys may have, especially pico reef keepers.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO, that may be a decent chore to uptake. Clams need pretty stable environments and param's and that could prove to be a nightmare in a small pico like that. Not saying it can't be done, but if the clam has any size to it, keeping your cal stable could be rather tough.

Corrailline or Mikejrice is your best bet for this task, but i'm not sure i'd want to take it on.

Good luck

4. Inertiatic

I know it wont be the easiest thing, but I feel the clam will have a better chance in the pico than in my nano. Since there wont be any livestock, the params shouldn't be too hard to keep in check minus salinity.

I'm most worried about providing enough light for it.

5. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

I know you didn't start this thread to discuss this debate, But the new tank you will set up won't be ready (mature enough) for a clam, and you will need to test alot for calcium not to mention dose alot.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do but I would either get rid of the clam, or the angel.

As for lighting, the BoostLed par30 is deffinitely plenty of light for clams/sps in a 3g, You should be more aware of burning your livestock with these bulbs if not properly acclimated, or too close!, I wouldn't go DIY It's a bit time consuming.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

not trying to be debbie downer but i have known many people attempt clams in picos and everyone ends in an epic fail. clams are very very sensitive even more so that most corals and that is something a pico tank just cant really provide unless you are a expert, and im talking major expert.

as for lighting the 3 gallon you have alot of options

-boostled par30
    -any reef par38 bulb
    -panorama or panorama pro.

7. Mtfitzg

Mtfitzg Plankton

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but how about moving the angel to the poco with a few corals and do water changes to keep stable-then the clam question is mute

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

The pico is way too small for the angel, I would never do that to the little guy.

This thread is a little old now, but the clam was moved to the pico and is doing great.

10. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That's great!! Is that the same angel as in your prof pic?

1 person likes this.
  11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

good to hear it, you must take great care of that little tank. and moving the angel would definitely be a horrible idea lol.

1 person likes this.
  12. Inertiatic

Yes he is, meet Fernando, lol. :)

It has been surprisingly pain free thus far. I think having no real bioload in there is what has been making it so easy. With my weekly to bimonthly water changes, my nitrates vary between 0 and 5 ppm.

I transferred my acan lords over also because I suspected that my angel was harassing them too and they have finally started to grow. My clam also colored up quite nicely.

When I do my water change this week, I'll update my build thread. I need to scrape all the damn pileolaria off the front pane first.