Lighting for FOWLR

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by RogerL, Apr 26, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Here's my .02,,,
    I have a little more then 4wts per gal. and my Coraline grows fine, I also saw Coraline grow under rocks were light is limited, but we are talking critters not Algae...
    Keep your Ionic balance and you will have Coraline out the Kazoo
    I have 4, 55wt PC but I can't keep Hard Corals or Clams. I found out the hard way, hehe
    I do keep, Polyps, Shrooms, Leathers, Colt, and a host of softies with success

2. Click Here!

3. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

ok. so i should just wait until i can upgrade my whole lighting setup before trying any corals? thanks!

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=RogerL link=board=Newbie;num=1051380883;start=0#11 date=04/26/03 at 17:06:23]so i should just wait until i can upgrade my whole lighting setup before trying any corals?[/quote]

[glow=red, 10, 100%]If it were me, yes I would wait to be on the safe side.[/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

actually with the low light it really doesnt affect the growth of coraline. maintain a good ph and alk and you will have good coraline growth. the amount of light affects the colors of corraline more than anything. there are several colors other than purple and pink. i actually started out with several of these colors it seems green, blue, burgandy grows in low light to shaded areas. pinks and purples are more of a higher light corraline. i started out with quite a bit of green with blue patches and it looked awesome but eventually was taken over by the pink and purples. i still have spots of burgandy in the shaded areas and underneath the rock. ive also heard of people having orange, white, and yellow corraline in low light areas.

with your wattage you may be able to go with the 3 your talking about check out your species. i know of some ricordias in a tank being kept in regular no lighting. there are actually some of these types of species that will recede in vho or mh lighting. according to my corals book some mushrooms actually thrive in shaded areas of the aquarium