lighting for a 300gal tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by leighton1245, Jul 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

At my LFS there is a 300gal tank that i have been looking at since i have been going there its finally on sale about 30% off with a sand and canopy only $1700, but im kind of unsure what kind of lighting i would need for it if i decided to buy it. Its 72x36x27

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The lighting is going to get very pricey! I would suggest going with LED's because all the MH it would take to light that bad boy will put off ridiculous amounts of heat. If you are a DIY sort, the led price curve isn't that bad.

If you have the funds, AI SOL super blues will last 10+years before needing a bulb, are upgrade-able with new technology, and won't heat your tank or house up, and use about 30% of the power or less than metal halide!

You would need about 8 units on that tank which would run around $4200 bucks. But the controllablity its absolutely amazing and the coloration is even better.

Orphek has a led lighitng kit that is definitely ahead of the curve. But it lacks the controllablity that the Aquailluminations unit has. It doesn't dim, but the PAR / PUR is the best you can get IMO.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

T5HO will work in there also. You will need 12 to 20 36" bulbs depending on your scape.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like a dream tank! I'd go with 3 PR-156 with the wide angle lens.
    You can have SPS and clams towards the center with some lower light areas around the perimeter for lower light LPS. These lights should pay for themselves rather quickly considering the watts ur gonna use.
    Even think about a roof mounted solar panel/battery bank/inverter/gear setup to off set some bills.
    Whatever you do, take your time and make it right! good luck

im jealous

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

three 400w with lumenark reflectors... you could get away with 250w but it will be a bit dim.

Bigger tanks call for bigger light lol

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

solatubes in PA? haha... well i guess it depends on if your above the mountain-line near Harrisburg or below it
    North of the mountain line clogs up all the clouds and its overcast/rain 75% of the time, South of the mountain line it is sunny 75% of the time ;)

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Perfect situation for a DIY LED build. :)

It will cost you upwards of 3k though.

I'd run the heat sinks front to back to get some decent coverage on that 3' width.

IMO, for a build of this size, you should have ~10k budgeted.

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Harrisburg (where Leighton is) is just south of the mountains. lol...Yes, I had to use Google to figure that out. :p ;)

12. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

LOL are you stalking me? cause that would be SWEEET! lol jk