Lighting for a 20Gallon?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

do PC's create much heat? i know PC's aren't good fixtures and people prefer T5 or MH but i'm not looking at high quality for this tank and don't want to spend a whole lot, especially since all i want to grow is weeds that can grow under pretty much anything

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

T5's. You wouldn't need like a nice tek or anything, but a 2 bulb T5 will give you what you need.
    T5's in the long run will be cheaper than PC's. T5's are more energy efficient, have cheaper bulbs, and the bulbs last twice as long.

4. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea 2 bulb fixuture is what i was thinking. Do you suggest any kind of brand that's not to expensive?

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

For the price I have heard good things about the Nova's and Sundials. They are not the best out there, but at least they don't have the reliability or safety issues of oddysea.

8. Click Here!

9. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

Well from what I have read they have improved alot and you could just get a fan to blow across the top of the water.

10. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

I like the t5s cause they give of not that much heat and about the aquatic life there pretty good cause i have one myself but just with a timer. the bulbs arent that good but always replacment bulbs

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

they are not high end lights,but i personally beleive the issues they had are behind them,you do pay for what you get,mine get warm,but not hot,i also have cooling fans built in

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Hmm thanks all for the help. I still have a few months before I'm ready to buy the light but at least these options give me a starting point