Lighting compensation

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Zuloou2, Sep 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zuloou2

Zuloou2 Plankton

I have spent the better part of the afternoon reviewing the posts. You all seem to very well informed and of great assistance to each other, thats why I joined your pond today.

I have a question in regards to lighting that I did not see answered in the previous posts.

When considering the lighting required by watts per gallon or light penitration capability, do you consider the depth of the sand bed and LR placement?

For example, I know I am pressing the lower limits of my BTA with only 160w using 50/50 (white 10k flor and actinic blue), I currently auto on and off at 12hr intervals with no moonlight. Is it possible to compensate for being at the lower safe lighiting limit by extending the lighting time? if so, what is a safe calculation to extend the perception of daylight and not overstress the rest of the tank?

Thanks,

Zoo

2. Click Here!

3. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

No it does not work that way but if you feed your BTA egvery day to every other day it will be fine. Anemones get more nutrition through actual food than they do through photosynthesis. The energy they get from light is only meant to sustain them from meal to meal not let them survive long term!