Lighting and LED discussion

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by gcarroll, Dec 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I beleive what you are seeing is the flourescing properties of certain corals and that may be an exception. Kind of like how actinic light makes things glow with amazing colors that you don't see when white lights are on. But on the norm, color is rendered by reflecting a certain color back at our eyes. That is not true color you are talking about and that I why I specify SPS corals becasue LPS and softies seem to have way more flourescing properties as a whole.

2. Click Here!

3. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

gotcha, Ive seen that flourescent look just on my softies with the actinics but I just realized that Ive never paid attention to see if my sps were glowing as well, so just thought Id ask

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

My SPS are not as fluorescent as my LPS; some, not fluorescent at all, but all do "glow" under my LEDs. I have noticed that greens, reds and yellows glow more than blues and purples. I have a CREE 3W setup with Cool White, Warm White (XP-Gs), Blue, Royal Bule (XP-Es) and two UV 3Ws from Edison in Taiwan. My spectrums reach a little farther than the normal Cool White/Royal Blue DIY CREE lights.