Lighting, 20 Gal Long Frag Tank

Discussion in 'Frags' started by zoazack911, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In you folks' opinion would my two 32 watt T8 10000k and one 32 watt T8 50/50 bulbs provide enough light for a 20 gal long frag tank. Now im planning on placing mostly LPS and softies in this tank, however i will have some acroporas and montipora frags that have to go in it too. With egg crate stand in it the acros and monties will be approximately 6 inches from the light. Thats only 6 inches of water column between the source and the SPSs. Should that provide adequate light intensity? Any advice would help.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

First, let's determine exactly what you're using:

Your 20L is 30". A 30" T8 fixture uses 24" 17 - 20W bulbs; 30" T5s are 31 - 35W; 32W T8s are 48". Which one do you have?

If it is 32W T8s or T5s, that might actually be too much light for some softies in a tank that shallow. OTOH, if it's the 17 - 20W T8s, you might not get the desired color or growth from some SPS, although someone with more experience in SPS lighting would need to correct me on that. You will still have plenty of light for everything else, though.

4. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have 24 watt 30" t8 bulbs and 32 watt 48" t8 lights. However i was wondering which to use. I thought id use the 32 watt to get enough intensity for the sps. Im building an egg crate 3 step tier, so i can place softies and lps near the bottom and sps at the top, so maybe the 24 watt would be appropriate. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Please feel free to correct me.

5. dan.luster

dan.luster Plankton

i want to start a grow tank for coral but i dont know how much light or flow or how to get it started i was hopeing to run lights 24/7 and get some crazy growth and keep high calcium and supp no fish just algea and coral is that smart or even possible?