light qurstion

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by artur, Aug 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

For last 4 years I use Current Orbit 2MH and 4 T5 fixture for my reef. Last couple bulb changes have problem to light up the same MH bulb. Got lucky year ago now it will not light up . I see even smoke coming for 10 sec. Is it ballast? And most important can I still use the fixture with just 1 MH? Is it safe? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think it's safe to say the fixture is not safe.

Where is the smoke coming from, fixture or ballast?

Personally I would not use the fixture.

4. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Smoke was coming from bulb area. Now I tried it again, bulb start lighting up but then stoped... If I take bulb out, can I still use another bulb. Other bulb operates on separate ballast in that fixture...

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I suppose you can try it, but it sounds like as though it may be a fire hazard to me.

6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

yeh, i second that. If you have smoke coming outta the fixture I would probably not even use it. And if new bulbs have trouble lighting up, its most likely a fixture wiring issue imo.

7. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I was happy with that light. I paid over 800$ for that fixture. It is good brand. What should I do? Where to start? I don't want to burn my house either...:(:(

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Well, do any of your lfs's or local aquarium service companies do electrical repairs on fixtures? I would see if you could find a local source for repair. A good service company will have general knowledge of proper wiring on most lighting systems.

10. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

An electrician could help, maybe an electronics hobbiest would be better. It sounds to me like your bulb heated the wires, melted the indulation. So the hot and neutral are touching, which causes heat, which in turn melts more insulation, causing smoke and the power to not go to the socket. All you need to do is open it up and take a pic of the wires, and I could tell you what to do, if it is the issue i described

11. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I will take pictures tomorrow and send them to you. I'm frustrated, I chose good, expensive fixture, to make sure its good and safe. And now I have to deal with that...

12. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

New day today so I started again. I checked wires as much as I could without taking everything apart. Looked ok...Then I took that bad bulb out of socket. I checked both ends . The one end when I saw little smoke news little yellowish other clean. I took little piece of sand paper and clean that socket. During that a tiny porcelain piece fell. I checked old bulb. It came from old bulb. I cleaned everything an again put new bulb. It works!!! Is it possible that that little piece was stuck in socket and new bulb did not have right connection and did not fire up, even cost a little smoke because was not connected 100%. Can that be a explanation? Is this fixture safe? What you guys think? Thank you!