Light controlers

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jason McKenzie, Apr 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm Wondering if anyone has a better Idea rather than having 4 plugs conected to 4 timers plugged into multiple power bars. To control there lights. My LFS recomended I buy a light controler from Home Depot and hard wire my lights to that. Some of the controlers can control multiple lights and control the photo period to be customized for up to a month.
    I would love to hear other ways to control lights
    With my new light system I have ended up with the need for 6 outlets 2 for VHO 2 for MH and 2 For the fans. So I have a AC/DC converter on the fans and timers for the lights [glow=blue, 2, 300]TOO MANY POWER BARS [/glow]

Any Ideas or help or even better Photos of you set up would be great

Thanks
    Jason [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

that would be an interesting one to find out i have plugs all over the place also

ive been thinking about a wave maker that turns different pwrheads on at different times maby someting along those lines

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason,

Sometimes it's just a matter of thinking a bit laterally and not getting to caught up in the detail :)

The way I approach these sort of things is to forget about aquariums altogether and just think about what you want to achieve and why. For example you just want to switch multiple devices on and off at a pre-determined time, it doesn't really matter that it is for an aquarium, well not initially.

So just start thinking about where else those sort of devices are used. A few that come to mind for me are garden watering systems, hydoponics and home security systems. Please remember that I live in Aus and not the USA, so things might be a bit different, but I am sure other examples exist if you can take the time to look around.

My own experience is that you can buy mains voltage timing/swithing equipment sold as a small home security system for a fraction of the cost of the same type of device that is sold as an aquarium system.

I guess the only down part of this is that you can tear up any warranty as you are using it for something other than specified, but if you are just a little bit careful, you can save a fist full of dollars.

Cheers

John

;D ;D ;D

5. Jason McKenzie

;D Hey
    So I've looked everywhere and I don't think such a device exists. All I want is a timer that can control more than one light and have seperate on off times per connection. There is one used in Hydoponics but all it is is two timers mounted on a large box and it's $299.00 US. Other options is X10 but I just don't want to go that route.

Is everyone out there just using multipule timers. I'm going to build something so once I get back from my trip I'll start posting pics. I'm going to attempt to build a power controler unit, or burn down the house witch ever easyer :p

Later
    J

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have five timers and three power strips for all my lights.

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice link John.

That is cool and cheap!

I wonder if it is grounded and accepts 3 prong plugs?

Looking at this thread the other day I found a DigiTimer by IceCap. But of course they want you to use their ballasts. :-/

10. Jason McKenzie

That's really cool John. I had seen it before but thought it was for X10. Thanks for brining it to my attesion

J