LFS has no clue

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ruminus, Mar 25, 2017.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

So it all started with a fern calurpa. Ok, no problem, got that under control. Then this unknown little beastie popped up. It's pretty, but my gosh does it grow and before a thorough mechanical scrubbing it was trying to take over. The LFS had no idea and I'm hoping someone will recognize this whatever it is and have an idea how to combat it. CUC won't touch it, Lawnmower Blenny thinks the beds of it make a great place to perch, but not to eat. I've removed say 90% of it but I'd like to find out what to do about it before the other 10% decides to try to take over again. Thanks! Picture.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

Mystery solved by John at Reef Cleaners. At least I was right that it is a form of caulerpa. Caulerpa verticillata to be exact.

Corailline likes this.
  4. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

5. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

Thank you. If it gets worse than it is, I'll certainly give this a try. The CUC from ReefCleaners has been making progress on it and my tiny Yellow Tang munches on it from time to time; it appears to be slowly declining over time. I also mechanically removed as much as I could without killing zoas, etc, during the tank migration from the 55 to a 120 w/ sump and it's just been a few patches here and there since.