Leveling a floor to put a stand on it

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Magnus, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks! You are making very good points here as well. The base is supposed to be exactly where the tank will sit and not move. The idea of the rag or cloth under it, after making the outline of the platform is a great Idea. I'll see if I can include it somewhere in the steps. Thanks for the contribution

4mm is too thick and won't really help the cement mold to the floor, IMO. Any decent paint store will have it. In fact, if you find a decent strength, big enough supermarket bag, you could use this as well, providing it will cover the surface in one piece. The film does need to be in 1 solid piece, regardless of what you use.
    Also, any decent paint store will have 1mm or 2mm film. It is absolutely transparent, I just painted it black on the drawing for representation.
    In fact, a big trash bag that feels strong and resistant will also work for this!! I'll include the new ideas in the main post =)

Now.. let's all think about how to do something that works this nice, but on carpet! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I used to get it at Home Depot.You could actually just use a heavy duty garbage bag maybe cut down both sides to make it long enough. But even if you have to use a couple I think you could probably get away with duct taping them together. For those who don't want to buy a whole roll of visqueen check your local paint store they usually sell plastic dropcloths in various sizes and thickness.Hey I just noticed, I am a nudibranch.lol

4. Vinnyboombatz

You beat me to it. Also you would prob want to make your taped outline before removing the wood frame so you don't have to contend with taping near the bumps that will form from seepage. You would just then need a ruler to center the final product in the middle of your tape marks. Hope this is understandable.Need coffee.;D I realise its better to use one solid piece but duct tape should work. Don't try masking tape the water from the concrete will lift it.
    On another note if you don't want to go thru all this you can just get some wood shims and level it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was wondering if the film needed to be one piece. When I was searching for some - the widest I could find at the time was 24" and I needed at least 26". I imagine duck tape would work to connect the pieces of film and not leak concrete.

Personally I would fear moving the concrete afterward and would rather leave it in place. I am paranoid. :)

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I think you were looking at the wrong product. Painters film is what is used to cover furniture, etc, so when they roll ceilings or walls the paint does not splatter on the furniture. I've seen it as big as 26 square feet. But the duct taped trash bags would work as well, the only thing is that you will need to definitely leave the film at the base of the platform, since the duct tape indentations would be molded at the base of the platform as well.
    Moving it is not a problem after you have marked exactly where the platform goes, and since the concrete will also mold to the floor, you will definitely be able to tell when it is a "perfect fit".
    I'm doing some more drawings and will include them. I think if you're more paranoid about your floor that adding the rag between the platform and the floor is a good extra measure. Specially for paranoid guys like yourself.... alright, alright.... and myself too! ;)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Matt go to the paint department at Lowe's, Home Depot and get the cheapest painters tarps, they are usually about 1 or 2 Mil thick. Or you can use a really cheap garbage bags like the ones you get at the Dollar store, and use some wide packaging tape to tape any seams close. If you use the Scotch tape packaging tape it is thin enough that is will not leave enough of a indentation to make any difference.

This is a really good Idea Magnus, thanks because I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what I was going to do when I move my frag tank into the Rec room in the basement, the floor in there is slopped about 1" in 6 feet. in the area where the tank is going because its just a few feet away from the floor drain.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That one is to use with a masker. It's basically a big scotch tape design, that you can pull the material to the desired measure and stick to a window, for example, then you pull the plastic and it covers the rest of the glass.

I was talking about these types, that in fact is sold as "plastic sheeting" so this is my mislead in the works.
    Product Comparison Page

They're a bit pricy for me and adding all the other materials, it would be an expensive project. If this is all you would use if for, I would recommend using some trash bags. I'm sure they will work just as well. Cut them in half and duct tape them as you suggested to cover the area that you need. It can't get any cheaper than that ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

I would recomend leaving the plastic under the base so it doesn't scratch the floor maybe just cut it off a half inch from the floor and your trim will cover it up. The reason is if you get water around that concrete you are gonna have a mess when you move it. Leaving that plastic on and cutting it off a half inche up will keep water from seeping into the concrete from underneath. I would probably want to seal mine with something before final positioning because even leaving the plastic on will invite water seepage.You don't want a huge sponge under your tank which is what this ammounts to.
    P.S. Matt if you are going to tape just make sure you burnish the tape down good with your hand. The heat that creates is what makes the tape stick better. Overlap the pieces and tape both sides and you should be fine.

12. Vinnyboombatz

UGL - DRYLOK® Masonry - Masonry Waterproofer
    This is a good latex sealer for it.And if you haven't guessed yet; I am a painter.;D You will have to let the cement cure before you seal it. Most underlayments call for 5-7 days to cure at 3/4" thickness 4-5 additional days for each extra 1/4 inch of thickness under normal drying conditions. So you better get started now.lol