Letting tank go fallow

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by sunset, Jan 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sunset

sunset Plankton

If I were to do this, would I have to take out my inverts from the main tank? I have a brittle star, two skunk shrimp, a handful of hermit crabs, and a few different coral polyps. Will those sustain ich, or does it rely completely on fish? Because if they can, then I wonder about the things like bristle worms, feather dusters, etc... that I would be unable to remove. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Keep it heated . water circulation and no mini cycling then all you need is to add a little food ever few weeks. I've had them run in that stat for months to over a yr or so..Keep parameter tight and coralline went crazy. And where all healthy stable tanks we I started them back up.. Basically thats how I cycle a tank anyways for a few months.

4. sunset

sunset Plankton

Um, thanks for the reply, but did you even read my question?;)

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I read it.. You want to let it set for awhile for some reason and that was just a guess But it sounded to me you wanted to keep shrimps starts and worms alive ? Well you have to run a power head to keep it circulation and warm to at least 76 to keep them alive.. To me the term Fallow means wild unless you mean dead and void of all life ? Explain more of why you want to do what you want to do. Then maybe someone can give you a better answer or another or better alternative ..If interested ? But to do this to think you will rid the system of Ich is like killing flies with a shotgun All tanks have ich.. it comes and it goes I have a out break after 4 yrs with nothing new being added ..I mean nothing..Better ways to deal with ich if that is your problem ? all white spots are not ich..

6. jski711

jski711 Astrea Snail

really once you have ich in your system it gets trapped in sand rock etc. there really is no way to "completely" get rid of it. sorry.

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i've always been under the impression that all diseases are already in our tanks and only need the right conditions to occur in order to make the inhabitants sick.now i'm a bit confused.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Um?? Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What does FALLOW mean? Never mind, I just found the dictionary.
    Fallow= 1 left unplanted 2 inactive

11. sunset

sunset Plankton

Sorry, I figured since this was the disease forum, it would have made more sense to you all, and since taking fish out of a tank to get rid of ich is mentioned in pretty much every thread regarding ich. And since every link posted regarding ich says that ich is not actually present in all tanks, and can actually be 'killed off' so to speak by allowing the tank to go fallow for 6-8+ weeks. All I was asking is if inverts could be carriers of ich, and if I would have to remove them for this process, or if they could be left in the tank, since that is the one thing I had not remembered coming across in the dozens of other threads I read on the subject.

Sorry if I confused anyone.