Lets talk about ICH

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ali1, Nov 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello ali1, give Marine-Max by Tropical Science a look. I use it as intended (prevention) but have dosed it when the fish already had ich and the fish were able to ward it off. It is an immune system booster. The fact that if the fish are able through a healthy immune system to ward off ich, the ich will have no effect on them. The proof is this; ever notice or heard that only some fish in the tank get it and others don't? The fish that don't have a stronger immune system. Check it out, I think you will be happy with the results.

2. Click Here!

3. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

all infested? how bad? i have several fishes in my tank but the only 1 with ich outbreak is the hippotang. im doing nothing for it at the moment since it is still swimming in the open and well eating. im hoping it will overcome the ich. i dont think there is any guaranteed solution beyond hyposalinity or copper treatment. anything else is hit and miss. if you're worried about the cycle of your dt, you can continue feeding the tank just smaller portions or drop a dead shrimp in there.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I used that about 10 years ago.... sad to say it didn't work for me. That's when I stopped naming my fish. :-(

5. Renee@LionfishLair

What food items do they eat?

Ya... I really meant it when I said I don't know ANYTHING about tangs.

They pace a lot in small tanks, eat algae sheets and often have ich at the LFS who don't have copper in their systems.... that's about all I have experience with o_O

6. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

nori, brine/mysis shrimp, ocean nutrition F1, ocean nutrition F2

I began the hyposalinity process. if powerheads are not needed, what to do for filtration? ammonia/nitrite denitrification process? I read an article stating to use seeded bacteria, but wouldn't this crash since the drop in sg is significant?

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Does any of that have Beta Glucan listed as an ingredient? Albeit, even if it does, I don't know what the dosage is per unit. Probably minuscule. I swear by the stuff, but I feed food items I can put the powder in. It's available at food stores, but the better product is that made specifically for aquaculture use. BIG difference is quality (or I should say big difference in beta glucan:filler ratio).

Soak whatever you can in extra vitamins. Vitamin C heavy ones. I personally dose my tanks with vitamin C when it contains a sick or susceptible fish. It's something I've practiced for quite some time, but I haven't done on research on it lately. So, you have to do your own research on that one for up-to-date recommendations.

Does anyone know which group of bacteria live at 1.009? Saltwater ones? Freshwater? Brackish? (if there is a brackish variety.... I've never looked into it).

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Oh..... soak the flakes over the frozen. They'll get much more of the vitamins that way.

10. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

Still seems like a lose lose situation when doing hypo-salinity. People say to use the seeded LR, but if the drop in salinity will crash your BB, whats the point? Also, if you put all your fishes in a hospital tank, you got bigger problems to deal with ammonia and nitrite. So how do you battle out ammonia and nitrite and why isn't a powerhead suggested?

I'd like people who've done this hyposalinity process to explain their success/failures and how exactly was it done.

Thanks

11. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

I'm with some that usually don't do anything to combat the main diseases except make sure my fish are as healthy as possibly.

I know I have/had flukes in my system, and there may be ich as well. I just feed my fish a good variety of meat and veggies, and soak every other day in GHVs and garlic to boost the vitamin levels in the food. Seems to work well for me. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but there are others that swear by this method and usually leave ich untreated.

Also, I remember something about Ginger root but I can't find the link on here :-/

Hope it works out!

12. Renee@LionfishLair

I've done it at least 50 times. Lucky me. I'll have to share once I get up.... it's sleep time for me or I'll be rolling on less than 4 hours of sleep at work tonight.:-/