Lets show-off your Zoa & Palys

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by wolverine57, Feb 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

Jhkchris, those are amazing! I can't get them to grow. I don't remember what happened to my first batch, I think they just disapeared, but I was new and didn't really know what I was doing. It only had about 8 heads. Then I bought a huge one about 4 yrs later. I sucesfully treated them for zoo pox, but after a while they closed and I got nervous they were gona die so I traded them back. I thought it was my lights, but everyone saya PCs are fine for zoos.

So recently the LFS gave me a couple heads that were floating around. I glued them to a rock and they haven't even opened.

I would love to have zoos like those!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

I find some Zoas and Palys to be very finicky. Usually the nice or expensive colored ones. Most of the brown skirted ones with colored centers seem to grow like weeds. For the life of me I can't keep any of the Paly's with the bright orange frills (Lunars, X Men etc..). I have lost alot . In most casses they close up and just melt.

Chris

4. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

My orange fringed lunars have recently expolded as Xenia have grown over the top and shielded them from direct light. Until then they were slowly dieing. Now they add nearly a head a week. Anyone else have similar experience?

5. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

That makes me feel not so bad. Thought I was the only one.
    I'm just gonna move the ones I have every week till they find the perfect spot, and maybe someday they will open
    :-/

6. Tmobo

Tmobo T-Rev

the ones on the very bottom are they purple hornets?

7. wolverine57

wolverine57 Astrea Snail

Green Armageddon
    [​IMG]

Nightmares
    [​IMG]

Purple Hearted
    [​IMG]

Blue Hornets
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Thank you. I think they are called Armageddon, but I call them pink palys. :)

10. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

No they are a deep water variety. They do not do well in light. I have had them for about a year now with no growth. I have lost about half of them.

Chris

11. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

I think they do better in the shaded areas in your tank. A LFS that I frequent has had them in a small nano tank in the shade of a rock. Those have been there for about 4 months and have doubled in size. Every frag or colony I have bought of those same ones have colored up in the first month and melted the next. Also have talked to a few of the local reefers about there experiences with them and they have had the same thing happen to theirs.

Chris

12. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster