Lets have a vote.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Midnight_Madman, Jun 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What to do about aptasia

1. Leave all liverock in tank and treat

61.0%
  2. Pull all liverock out and nuke

39.0%
  1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Oh really. I didn't think it was that much of a chance. I just lost another one. He was on the bottom doing barrel rolls.
    Actually he is still alive in a net for now. But I don't think he will make it

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. ATP123

ATP123 Astrea Snail

lol.

There's a few people over in RC that I saw was using that thing. The guy that posted that on the link is local in my area, but I've never seen him done it.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

have you been checking your water parameters? after each fish you add your tank goes through a mini cycle. If you add alot of fish at once mini cycle becomes a big cycle and can kill fish.

btw I have known people that got chromis and just have them kill each other one at a time.

5. Midnight_Madman

I noticed them nipping at each other behind the rocks.
    They hid all afternoon and night. Strange

6. Midnight_Madman

That Aiptasia X seemed to work amazing. So far all the big ones look like there gone(20+) Ill look when the lights come on to see about the smaller ones.

7. Midnight_Madman

Just checked again. Everything looks perfect except my ALK. Is high. I have a red sea test kit so it doesnt give numbers just colors.

I only see one chromis swimming. I found 1 dead and the other sitting at the bottom breathing very heavy like the one that died yesterday.
    So, two are MIA
    All through these guys dying the percula looks healthy as can be! whats going on?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Chromis have a pecking order. The most dominant fish will peck the hell out of all of the other chromis until it is the only fish left :) This is why they don't seem to do well when kept in small groups in our aquariums. The larger the school, the more spread out the aggression, the more likely that less dominant fish won't be killed.

That being said, see if you can get your hands on some nudibranchs to help your peppermint shrimp. I'm all for nuking live rock usually but since this is in a tank that's already established, I'd go with biological control and only nuke if you've exhausted all other options.

10. Midnight_Madman

Thats seems to be the case. I think there's only one left! BUT I cant find the bodies of the other 4. I started with 6.
    Should I make it a point to move all the rock and find them asap?

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, if you have enough of a cleanup crew, they'll take care of the remains. You would probably do more harm rearranging your rocks than you would by leaving the dead fish in there.

12. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I had a feather duster, they go after them too. Thats what I was thinking of...